Author Topic: Using an alias to join Army. Ernest Jones Hetherington  (Read 5796 times)

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Using an alias to join Army. Ernest Jones Hetherington
« on: Sunday 30 November 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm totally confused, on a family history site I've found  a short service attestation form for No. 4304 Thomas Smith alias Ernest Jones Hetherington dated 4th September 1891, it's perfectly clear, he joined the Highland Light Infantry @ Hamilton and signed as Thomas Smith. His real name was Hetherington so Smith was the alias. He was 19 years old but had previously been in the 4th Battalion of the D.L.I. and later during WW1 I believe he was in the Northumberland Fusiliers

Can anyone explain why he was able to use an alias and was it normal to change regiments so often, I really know nothing about military matters so any help would be most appreciated.

Patty
BRIGGS especially WILLIAM b. 1839 MY GREAT GRANDFATHER and MY BRICK WALL.

Richardson - Northumberland and Durham
Briggs - Durham and Sth Wales
Proud, Chapman - Durham and North Yorkshire
Hetherington - Cumberland/Northumberland and Durham
Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland
Murphy, McKenna, Connery - Ireland
also - Corps - Wear - Hutchinson & Fawell .

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Using an alias to join Army.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 November 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you read the second page of his attestation? He deserted 25 Dec 1891 and then rejoined in 1892 and was in confinement in 24 July 1892. All prior services forfeited on conviction of Fraudulent Enlistment. In prison 7 Oct 1892.
At the top of the first page under the name Thomas Jones Hetherington there is the date 13 October 1902. Could be when he was found out. I would normally be looking for an enlistment under the birth name first and then an enlistment under an alias but at first reading this seems to be the opposite way about. A timeline of his misdemeanours from the second page may make it clearer.
My grandfather joined up in 1905 under his own name and deserted prior to 1909. In WW1 he went down south and joined up using his mother's maiden name - and again deserted. He then enlisted a third time under completely different first and surname!  So 3 different regiments with three different names.  Still a mystery as to how he escaped so lightly as his service record shows his shenanigans and letters to family -including a deserted wife and child.

Found this by googling
"Enlisting under a false name was NOT one of the offences specified in the Army Act. However, a man who did so could be court-martialled (or dealt with by his CO) for "giving a false answer on attestation" which was an offence. A man might be tried if he had used his enlistment to conceal previous service, especially if by doing so he concealed desertion, or obtained a fresh free issue of kit."

"The fact that King's Regulations contained detailed instructions as to how to change your "Army name" in your service record suggests that, the mere fact of giving a false name was "winked at".

It seems they were more concerned about the concealment of previous service

The Great War Forums will give you more information.

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 14 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, have found 2nd page (didn't know there was one) and will need to read it properly.

Now I'm wondering if the "alias Ernest Jones Hetherington" was added later as there is a date underneath 13/2/04 which doesn't seem to relate to anything else, and there is a marriage record in Dublin in 1904 for him so maybe this is how it was discovered. Not sure still a lot of things to sort out.

Very surprised about the Army attitude to using an alias though, it seem to have been quite a common occurrence and your grandfather sounds a very enterprising man although I'm not sure your grandmother would have agreed.

Thanks again for all the information it's going to be very helpful, we are not a military family and Ernest is not my direct ancestor but grandson to one and looks like being very interesting.

Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland

Offline sheilacurtis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am a beginner on the Hetherington chat ernest jones Hetherington is my grandfather and I do have copies of his army papers .prior to him running away to join up he ran away to the circus and got brought back home. I think judging by your previous posts on Thomas quack doctor I am not surprised now why he assumed these alias. I would love to hear from you to share any facts we may have. many thanks Sheila

Offline patty38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 14 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheila,
Will gladly P.M you with some information but you need to post 3 messages first, send me a reply to this one and another with anything on to make three. Did you know your grandfather he sounds an interesting man, it will be lovely to compare notes.
Cheers
Patty  :) :) :)

Eeles - Durham
Blair, Herd - Scotland

Offline sheilacurtis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi patty unfortunately no he died in 1926, when my dad was 7yrs old. He died from injuries obtained in the F.W.War although on his papers it reads a broken arm sustained or words to that effect. He actually lost his arm as a result I presume gangrene . 

Offline sheilacurtis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 14 17:55 GMT (UK) »
hi Patty, I do have a picture of him to my knowledge it is the only one that exists regards sheila

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Even today you can call yourself whatever you want as long as it is not for gain, or involve providing forged documents.

Then hardly anyone had documents of any kind. A baptism record was needed to prove your age when applying for an old age pension (at 70) and that was about it.

The army's attitude was that they had a man who had agreed to serve for 12 years (usually) so after he had been punished for anything he had done they wanted back to serve out his time. One exception was if he had deserted one regiment and re-enlisted. Then there may have been a bounty involved, and they also wanted a punishment to act as a deterrent.

The attitude to his desertion was typical. It cost £20 to purchase a discharge so deserting and serving 3 or 6 months in prison (even with hard labour) was not an alternative. after serving his punishment, the army wanted him back. Even though the rest of his service could be with the knowledge that he would not be receiving a pension.

Ken

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 December 14 19:45 GMT (UK) »
The simple answer is "alias" simply means at a another time known as.

It does not mean a person is using a different name or a person swaps between names but simply he/she was know at some other time by the other name.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.