Author Topic: ..Need Help with Welsh Names..  (Read 14034 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: ..Need Help with Welsh Names..
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 I've heard of Cledwyn but Clydwyn's a new one.   Pleased you've solved the problem.   Those family nicknames!
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi landvaettir,

I hope you don't mind me joining in your thread and asking a question  of my own too. I'm currently going through a few unusual Welsh male names and pulling my hair out over them  ;D

In answer to your question "How common a name is Clydwyn ". I've  personally never heard of  the name myself either. ( Your photo looks like  it reads "Clydwyn" to me too)

I  took a look at the BMD's and censuses for you to see how "common" a name it is/was:

There only seem to be a couple  in the BMD ( although these are not complete listings so there will probably be quite a few more)

From 1837 to 1983  there are ten births  listed , middle names accounting for a couple of them.
The earliest being 1881 on the free BMD  (on free BMD site  there are 8 people all Christian names) - all in wales bar two who are in Cheshire Mersyside

And there is one in the birth index 1984 to 2000

In the censuses I can only find  two people to have this name:
one in 1891 Carmarthenshire,  Clydwyn O Rees
one in 1901 Brecon, Clydwyn Hubert Jones
( without allowing for  other Clydwyn's  that may be there , but  have been mistranscibed)

I can't find the name on any of the name meaning sites I have  either, like  the "behind the name"  site , it's not in their database ( but neither is "my" below  Cedwyn  name, or Ceidio ). It  just gives a list of "sounds similar names"  Cledwyn is the only Welsh name  for Clydwyn it seems to  pull up  in the list  "names that sound similar". It may be related to it, or maybe not , I don't know.
( http://www.behindthename.com/)

It does seem to be a nice unusual name you have  there
  :)

.....................................................................................................................................

Could anyone tell me if they have ever heard of the name Cedryn? ( pronounced as it reads in Welsh , a  Ked - rin  sound in English)

My husband knew of a person ( an old welsh teacher) with this Christian name  years ago. in college in Wales, and I love the sound of this name. I'm thinking of naming a child this, but want to know the meaning behind it  just in case it means something horrible.

I can not find a meaning for it online or in my Welsh dictionaries , or where it has come from. And I  can't find it on any name sites. The nearest thing I have come up with so far is  the word Cedyrn , as in  Y Cedyrn - The strong( cadarn strong)

There seems to be just 3  Cedryn's in the later BMD's  (two middle names and one Christian name)  , none at all in any of the censuses . So it looks to me as if it may be a Modern-ish made up Welsh name, or  maybe a total all but lost name, but where would it have been derived from ? would it have come from the word cedyrn, cadarn - strong?

And  the  Christian name Cedwyn - does anyone know the meaning of this, what the word actually translates to/means? . white - " ? "  I can't find a translation anywhere with my searches.
 I gather he was a saint . St Cedwyn?  And there is a church called this too . Also Cedwyn was apparently one of King Arthur's knights? ( also found this ; St Cedwyn, which is most likely a further textual corruption of Ceidio)

Thanks for any help :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
You don't half find them don't you.I certainly haven't heard of Clydwyn/Cedryn and as for meanings........sometimes,however,some names don't have a meaning/translation into English.
The name Cedwyn,although somewhat rare,is a recognised Welsh name and there is in fact a place called Llangedwyn, which is situated some six miles,as the crow flies,south west of Oswestry,Salop.
The name translates to church of Cedwyn....the church in the village is dedicated to St Cedwyn.
I'm not sure about the Arthurian legend bit however.
Best of luck in your research.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline auberginewellies

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 September 06 23:18 BST (UK) »
I've just started to look at this site after putting my father's first name Clydwyn into Google. I understand that there was a thread about this name in 2005. Is there anyone who has details of Clydwyn in the Rees or Evans families, possibly in Cardiganshire? I was told the family moved from Cardiganshire to the mining area around Merthyr.  I think it is a family first name as my father passed the name onto my brother.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 September 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
I like the Arthurian connection as of course he came from mid Wales and surrounded himself with Celtic knights (cymbrogi).   Could Cedwyn be the correct name for Cedric.   I think he was mentioned as one of the gang  :)
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline raydavid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 April 07 06:16 BST (UK) »
Clydwyn Edwards was my father and his nicknames
were "Clyd", "Tyd", "Tydden" etc. Your Grandma's name must have been Alwyn McCauley and grandfather Cameron who has recently passed away. We live in Cape Town, South Africa but we are in regular contact with the family in Wales and I can find most of the information you want or put you in touch. You must have an aunt called Diana who has been to Ruthin, N.Wales in about 1969 and stayed with her cousin Heather whom I spoke to about two weeks ago. I would love to get in touch with you and am at email address removed by moderator - please use the secure Rootschat personal message system to exchange email addresses - thankyou

Offline AngelSeren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 December 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I've no idea how to use this site! Just registered as I know the people you are looking for!!! In fact I'm married to the decendent of Eirlys Window (welsh for snowdrop) and known to us as 'Grandma Window'! I also knew 'Aunt Nin' well :-) I met Murriel a couple of times and also knew 'Uncle John'. Obviously 'Uncle' Tydd moved to Canada, but he did come to my wedding. I'm not quite sure how you're related. But if you're still around do drop me a line :-))

Offline AngelSeren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Apparently I need to post three times before I can PM you.....hopefully this is number 3

Offline mikejones1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether you still need a help with some Welsh names I found these websites helpful when I was looking for a name for our baby:

http://www.welshboysnames.co.uk]
http://www.welshgirlsnames.co.uk]

Good luck with the names!