Author Topic: Welsh Surnames in 1700-1800  (Read 5135 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh Surnames in 1700-1800
« on: Monday 01 December 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
This is probably a very naive question. Someone suggested to me that in the 18th Century, daughters of a family had as their surname their mother's maiden name while the sons took their father's surname. Is this possible?

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Surnames in 1700-1800
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric

Not that I know of and I've gone back to 1600s and before  with some of my lines.

Under the Welsh patronymic system, they were described by their father's name - e.g. Gwen verch/ferch/merch John ( Gwen the daughter of John), etc. Sons would take their father's name also - John ap John, etc.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:25 GMT (UK) »
I always think that this is one of the better pieces on Welsh patronymics:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/helachau/patronymics.htm

Gadget

PS - just thinking about illegitimacy - not sure,  but would think that if father was not known/admitted the offspring would be son/daughter of mother's name/daughter of her father's name - need to check that up!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I did look up female forenames as surname before now and found them, I wondered if this might have stemmed from illegitimacy where the father wasn't known perhaps. I've got back reasonably far with all my Welsh lines and been somewhat disappointed that I've never got to any patronymics whatsoever! I feel like I should be on the cusp of it...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 December 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
It very often depends on which counties your ancestors came from, Ayashi. My first ones were found in Merionethshire. It's usual for the patronymics to last longer in the counties furthest from the border/least influenced by the English and in the North!

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit on illegitimacy - think it was what I said earlier :

An illegitimate child may have used the given or surname of the reputed father, the surname of the mother, or the given or surname of the family who raised the child.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Wales_Names,_Personal

Added - Also, more generally:

As an interesting note, while some cultures exist that do use matronymics (names derived from one's mother), more often in a culture that uses patronymics, taking such a name is a sign of illegitimacy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/Patronymic?from=Main.Patronymic

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 December 14 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Just found a thread where I asked about illegitimacy  - in 2008!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=194000.msg2061777#msg2061777

Worth reading the whole thread!

Gadget

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
It very often depends on which counties your ancestors came from, Ayashi. My first ones were found in Merionethshire. It's usual for the patronymics to last longer in the counties furthest from the border/least influenced by the English and in the North!

Gadget

In my case, Carmarthenshire. I've got back to about the turn of the 19th Century mainly, with my Joneses back to 1758 or thereabouts... Got all the signs (Jones, Griffiths, Lewis, William...) but I think I've all run out and not made it back that far :(

Offline dmjones

• RootsChat Member
  • A little courtesy can win a lot of respect.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 December 14 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I have heard that daughters would use their mother's maiden name once their father had died. For example when giving their maiden name on a birth certificate. 
D M Jones
Jones, Lewis, Jandrell, George, Price, Lloyd, Cupper (Cuper), Vaughan, Grant, Wheldon

Denbighshire, Shropshire, Montgomeryshire, Radnor, Powys, NZ, North Yorks