Author Topic: Marriage and children of John Steel and Margaret of Byker  (Read 7224 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage and children of John Steel and Margaret of Byker
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I didn't look for anything on Ann as I thought you had that.

I will have a look tomorrow if I can and also for Margaret Henderson's brother (father of Mary Ann)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate it David

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
1861 Census

Fortunately in 1861 Mary Ann is with her parents so we know they are Thomas and Elizabeth. Thomas was born in Heworth, Durham

Thomas Henderson 51
Elizabeth Henderson 48
Mary Ann Sanderson 26
Ann Claxton Sanderson 4

RG 9/ 3768/11 p 16

Simon Sanderson does not appear to be on the 61 census that I can see (he is on 41, 51 and 71) but as he is a shipwright perhaps he was at sea.

In respect of Ann Steel I do not think she married William Capstaff, but then again

William Capstaff  age 22 m Ann Steel age 21, 24 Feb 1857 All Saints, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland.  William's father was John Capstaff, Ann's father was John Steel

so why can't I find them on the census ?

EDIT: I cannot seem to find William and Ann on the censuses so maybe they emigrated so you would need to ask if someone can see them on any passenger lists
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
thanks David

It is likely Ann and William emigrated, I will have a look

I have looked at Simon Sanderson and he died in 1876. He was born in 1834 to Simon Sanderson and Ann Claxton, hence explaining the prominence of it in the names of the Sanderson children.

Update: I cannot find any emigration records for Ann and William so I am stumped same as you are.

I looked at the baptisms on family search and I noticed something odd about Mary Ann Henderson. There is a 1835 baptism for Mary Ann, the father is Thomas, but the mother is named Ann, that cannot be right as the census proves otherwise

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »

I looked at the baptisms on family search and I noticed something odd about Mary Ann Henderson. There is a 1835 baptism for Mary Ann, the father is Thomas, but the mother is named Ann, that cannot be right as the census proves otherwise

The explanation for that could be that Mary Ann's mother is Ann but she dies and Thomas then marries Elizabeth. There are a host of deaths of Ann Henderson up to 1841 and similarly a host of marriages to an Elizabeth. So it would be a case of searching the deaths of Ann's or looking at the marriages to Elizabeth's neither of which will be easy as there are a lot of them

In respect of William and Ann have you checked scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Perhaps they didn't emigrate but went to Scotland as there was a lot of shipbuilding there

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 January 15 14:48 GMT (UK) »
thanks guys

When did Francis Steel's wife Margaret Harbottle die?

I checked the 1840 death of a Margaret Steel and found out it is not his wife, but the daughter of his son John.

She is not on the 1841 census with Francis

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 18 September 16 11:42 BST (UK) »
Ann Capstaff might have died in 1858 in Gateshead Durham

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 November 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the new gro index, it seems none of the deaths in Newcastle upon tyne match up with John's birth year of 1843