Author Topic: Parrott and Blackford in Brightwaltham - puzzling over relationship  (Read 5360 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parrott and Blackford in Brightwaltham - puzzling over relationship
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 census, Jacob Blackford (b abt 1809) and his wife Elizabeth and niece Adelaide Parrott age 15 are living in Brightwalton. In 1861 no family members with the couple but Jacob's birth year is now 1812. In 1871 the couple have niece Emily 12 and nephew Colin 10 with them. Jacob now says birth year is 1814. Jacob dies before 1881 census. His age at death gives his birth closer to 1809, best match is Jacob Mashall Or Blackford born 19 Jan 1808 bapt 21 Jan 1808 Brightwaltham, father William Mashall Or Blackford and mother Mary.

Adelaide is the daughter of Hannah Parrott (no father mentioned on baptism record). In 1841 she is with her mother Hannah and stepfather (John Eltham) under the name of Adelaide Eltham. In same house is Richard Parrott age 50, Richard Parrott 15 and Catherine Parrott also 15. There is a Susannah Eltham 10 months registered as Susannah Parrott in same quarter as Hannah Parrott married John Eltham a widower. I suspect Susannah is John's child but Adelaide is not because she was born a year or so before his first wife's death.

So it looks like Richard Parrott (widowed) has living with him: his two youngest children, married daughter, her husband and her children.

But I cannot find any baptisms for Hannah, Richard jnr or Catharine to Richard Parrot and unknown wife. I can find baptisms of John and Caroline to Richard and Susanna in Brightwaltham in the relevant time frame.

Emily and Colin are the children of John Parrott and Hannah Slade. John's age on 1861 census matches the one baptised to Richard and Susanna.

Could Richard and Catherine be a mistake on 1841 census and they should be John and Caroline?

Hannah (Parrott) Eltham does seem to vary in age but is always quite a few years older than the supposed siblings so maybe half siblings? And how are her daughter and the children of John Parrott the nieces and nephew of Jacob Blackland?

Then I found this: Hannah Mashall Or Blackford  birth  25 February 1805 chr 10 March 1805 parents William Mashall Or Blackford and Mary.
Joseph had a sister Hannah - is this Hannah Parrott? If so where is her marriage to an unknown Parrott and why was her daughter Adelaide baptised with no father's name?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Parrott and Blackford in Brightwaltham - puzzling over relationship
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This is very confusing  :-\

I can see a marriage in 1847 of a David Blackford. Possible brides : Catherine PARROTT and Sarah PARROTT , Sarah HARRIS or Sarah HUMPHRIES.

In the 1851 census a Catherine and David Blackford are living with her mother Susannah Parrott and brother Richard. Wonder if is this the same family ? Ages of Catherine and Richard ,taking into account they would be rounded down in 1841, could be them

Brightwalton : Village

Susannah Parrott    hd  widow  75  pauper   bn Berks, Brightwalton
Richard                       son      30  ag lab      "     "             "
Isaac                        grandson 8                  "     "             "
David Blackford     son in law   27  ag lab             "             "
Catherine  "                dau      27                        "             "
Richard     "              grandson 11                       "             "

Class HO107,  Piece 1689, Folio 290, Page 8.

John and Hannah Parrott are two doors away from this family , plus a Slade family too !

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. It does give a connection between Blackfords and Parrotts, but would make Jacob the great uncle of Richard Blackford jnr (Catherine and Richard's son) and no real relation to Adelaide Parrot or John and Hannah Parrott's children - he would be the great uncle of their first cousins.
The 1851 record is a surprise, since Susanna Parrott is missing in 1841, I had assumed she had died before 1841.
There is a burial of a Susanna Parrett in Brightwaltham on 16 Dec 1854 - age at death 74 so birth year 1780, which looks like her. A little younger than the one on the census, but fits in better with age of husband and birth year of last child.
Now the mystery is where was she in 1841 and to find baptism of Hannah Parrott (wife of John Eltham). Familysearch has a lot of Brightwaltham / Brightwalton baptisms but not Hannah's assuming she was born a Parrott and actually born  in Brightwaltham as she says.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 December 14 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is also a marriage at Brightwalton 4.5.1833
Jacob Blackford and Elizabeth Parrott.
So is Hannah Parrott later Eltham ,Jacob's sister in law?
This would make Adelaide his niece by marriage.
Richard Senior baprised 3.4.1785 Brightwalton to a John and Ann.
No sign of a Elizabeth or Hannah.
ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 December 14 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. I suspected an earier link between the Blackfords and Parrotts.
Jacob's wife Elizabeth (Parrott) was born about 1814/15 in North Moreton, Hannah also states Brightwaltham for her birthplace, her year of birth is so variable but I think about 1812. Late yesterday I found a Joshua Parrott born N Moreton about 1819 who was uncle to one of John Parrott's children according to census. John Parrott is definitely son of Richard Parrott and Susanna.

So two (possibly 3 if Hannah was mistaken about birthplace) elder children born in North Moreton, it could indicate Susanna was from there. Or Elizabeth, Hannah and Joshua were children of Richard's first wife if he had one. Or it could be like the Brady Bunch, Susannah and Richard both had children with former spouse, then married and had at least two of their own.
The problem is I can't find out anything much about Susanna. She was missing in 1841 (that's why I thought Richard had been widowed before then). But she's back in 1851. She says her birthplace is Brightwaltham. She is buried on 16 Dec 1854, her age at death gives birthdate of 1780.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at all the Susan/Sussannah's at Brightwalton and there are only two and neither fits.
Susanna Spokes 28.2.1762 d of Richard and Elizabeth
Sussannan Wicks 6.2.1791 d of Fruin and Elizabeth Wicks.
But then as you say what if she came from North Moreton which is not online.Apparently the Oxfordshire parish record Society is willing to do a search for you and they send you the results by post.
Can't think what else to suggest.
Ciderdrinekr

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 December 14 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking. Would it be Oxfordshie FHS or Berkshire? North Moreton was one of those places that moved in 1974.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 December 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes
Sorry it would be the Oxfordshire Family History Society
Apparently you send an email to searches@ofhs.org.uk with details of the searches you require.
And I'm afraid they do charge.Not sure how much because I've not dealt with them.
Obviously if you can get to the County Record Office it should be free.
Ciderdrinker

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 December 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi LizzieL,

I have a copy of the Nth. Moreton transcripts from the OFHS and unfortunately I couldn't see any baptisms for Blackfords or Parrotts.

There is one only marriage for Thomas Blackford (from Brightwalton)  1736 to Ann Brown.

There are no burials for either name.

I also looked in the Sth.Moreton transcripts with no luck there either.

I have a Blackford  & a Marshall in my tree and have never been able to find where they came from.
I suspect they came from either Brightwalton or even Lambourn areas.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk