Author Topic: Banks in Greenlaw  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banks in Greenlaw
« on: Tuesday 02 December 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the location of banks in Greenlaw, Berwickshire around 1866.  I expect that the banks at that time would be substantial, imposing buildings and so might still be there but no longer used as banks.  The bank in question was the  City of Glasgow Bank, opened in 1850.  I pass through Greenlaw fairly regularly and would welcome any help in the identification of the old bank building.
Morrison;McDonald;Campbell;Sutherland;Waters;Archibald; Ireland (the surname);Torrens;Wilson;Craise;Purves;Black;Coalston
in Caithness;Renfrewshire;East Lothian;Fife;Ireland;Liverpool;Brooklyn,NY

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Banks in Greenlaw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

The National Library of Scotland shows the bank on their Ordnance Survey 25 inch to the mile, 1st edition, 1857 map of Greenlaw: http://bit.ly/1yhmnTl

Here it is on Google StreetView: http://bit.ly/1tJULQy

There is some additional information on Canmore (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland): http://bit.ly/1vIcHAm

Emma

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma, thanks for that information. I have used the Ordnance Survey maps before for other locations and find them invaluable.  I don't know why I didn't on this occasion.   Probably a senior moment.  Next time I am passing through Greenlaw I will stop off and have a closer look.  I was interested in the Bank as I had a third great aunt who was married to the manager of the bank around 1866 to 1871 if not longer. He was Allan Purves, born Greenlaw 1809 but he was in the 1881 Census in Edinburgh, presumably after retirement or the closure of the Bank as mentioned  in your link.  I have not established if he was there at it's closure. His wife, my 3rd great aunt was Sophia Wilson who was in Edinburgh living with her sister, another 3rd great aunt of mine, Margaret Wilson at the time of the 1861 and 1871 Censuses.  Her husband was John Melrose, head of the famous Edinburgh Tea Importer.
Thanks again.
Morrison;McDonald;Campbell;Sutherland;Waters;Archibald; Ireland (the surname);Torrens;Wilson;Craise;Purves;Black;Coalston

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 December 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
How  interesting.  I am interested in anything about Greenlaw, because I live here!!!   I do have a map of Greenlaw in 1857 and have looked at it closely.   I think the Glasgow Bank will have been next door to the Chemist with the public toilets at the other side.    The Royal Bank of Scotland in Greenlaw closed last June but previous to that it was situated in what is now the first house in Duns road.    :)
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 14 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi LowrieT.  Perhaps you might be able to help me. The above Allan Purves is shown in the 1871 Census as living at 39 High Street East. I have looked at Google Street View but as far as I can see the numbers stop at I think 31. Of course in 1871 perhaps the present Marchmont Road may have been the continuation of High Street East. The census shows the property had 12 rooms with windows suggesting a fair sized property as would befit a bank manager. There seem to be a few larger houses on the present Marchmont Road including a house called Bellachroy which may have been the old number 39. Or maybe not. Any thoughts from your local knowledge? I would welcome your help.
Robert

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 December 14 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I have looked up the 1851 Census for Greenlaw and see that Marchmont Road used to be named Easter Row.   As you say Bellachroy is a big house with a number of rooms, so it is possible that is where your ancestor lived. In the 1851 Census he was living in Greenlaw  unmarried aged 41 and was a General Merchant/Banker living with his nephew George Blair and servant Janet Scott.   He was living in the house which was the Bank of Glasgow.   You probably know that?   
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline Robert1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 December 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I haven't yet looked at the 1851 census for Allan Purves. He married my 3rd great aunt Sophia Wilson in June 1851 in Edinburgh after the census returns and my main interest has been in her and their children. So the information regarding him is very welcome.  I have not yet found him in the 1861 census but I have still to look for the children and that may provide the information.
I wonder where 39 High Street East was back then. Perhaps it was demolished.  It looks as if maybe Marchmont had one or two earlier names. 
Thanks again.

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 December 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
It is not easy to follow the Census with the house numbers.   I see that the Manse is on East Main Street and then Easter Row starts which I work out is now Marchmont Road.   There was 11 dwellings in Easter Row 1851.   Sorrry I cant help you but giving the passage of time maybe the 12 bedroom house has now been demolished.