Author Topic: RAINES Genealogy - Broken Hill SA  (Read 24299 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RAINES - Broken Hill
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 14 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Many miners from South Australia moved to Broken Hill including my OH's ancestors. 

Perhaps the mods could link this and the other thread together.  Confusing trying to answer on two threads.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 December 14 01:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't know which generation emigrated to Australia but I couldn't see my James Raines on any NSW records, though it is likely that I missed something. I did find a 28 year old James Raines from Somerset arriving in Port Adelaide in 1866 on the "Charlotte Gladstone" - perhaps this could be James Edwin's father James? How could I go about linking the two?

RAINES James  24 years  Status Single  Father Robert RAINES
MORRIS Martha Elizabeth 19 years  Status Single  Father John MORRIS
12 Jul 1869-
Res of Mr Brown, Melrose  Fro 80/79

I wonder if Martha Elizabeth's mother's maiden name was CHAPMAN.  There seems to be some confusion when registering the births.

Births
RAINES Alice Chapman
15 Mar 1870
Father James RAINES   Mother Martha Elizabeth Morris CHAPMAN
At Melrose  Fro 81/541

RAINES James John
27 Nov 1871
Father James RAINES  Mother Elizabeth MORRIS
At Booboorowie   Cla 102/363

RAINES Martha Elizabeth
27 Mar 1873
Father James RAINES   Mother Martha Elizabeth MORRIS
At Clare  Cla 120/23

RAINES Emily Ellen
2 Jan 1875
Father James RAINES  Mother Martha Elizabeth CHAPMAN
At Bungaree   Cla 145/441

RAINES Florence
5 Aug 1876
Father James RAINES  Mother Martha Elizabeth CHAPMAN
At Blyth Plains  Cla 169/163

James Edwin was born c1871 according to his marriage registration.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 December 14 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear....
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44948366
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110506302

RAINES Charles Frederick Chapman
10 Jun 1885
Father James RAINES  Mother Alice Chapman RAINES
At Netherton   Dal 353/258

And he was found not guilty.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article160742300

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:09 GMT (UK) »

South Australian Advertiser  8 Feb 1884
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article35953683

MAGISTRATES COURT - CRYSTAL BROOK.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 7. [Before-Mr. John Miller.]
Martha Elizabeth Raines was charged with bigamy, Mr. Bean appeared for the prosecution. James Raines deposed that he was married to prisoner in 1860, at Melrose, by the Rev. B. G. Edwards. The witnesses were W. J. Bacon and Mary Brown, who were both now dead. After living at various places they went to reside at Clare, where a fellow workman named Child came to board at his house, and remained for six or seven months. In consequence of noticing improper behavior on the part of his wife with this man had some words with her, but offered to forgive her if she would reform. She refused, and said she would not live any longer with him. Shortly afterwards she left, going away with Henry Benjamin Child. Before she left she tore up the marriage lines and threw them in the fire. She also broke her wedding ring and threw it away, and told him he was now a free man and might marry again whenever he liked. She took one of the children with her, leaving the other two with him. He last heard from his wife by letter in 1877, but had heard of her through her brothers frequently since.
By Prisoner —Did not send a telegram to Moonta to Child, asking him to come and take you away. Took poison about three nights before you left, but was out of my mind at the time, and did not know what I was doing. I did not offer to sell you to Child for £2, in addition to being released  from a debt of £16 10s. I owed him. I did not kiss you as you left. I shook hands with you. You told me your name was Martha Elizabeth Morris. There was no Chapman in it.
The Rev. B.G. Edwards, Wesleyan minister, deposed to having celebrated a marriage at Melrose on July 12, 1869, between James Raines and Martha Elizabeth Morris. He could identify the prosecutor as the man who was then married, but could not say positively the prisoner was the woman, though she strongly resembled her.
The Rev. T. E. Keen, Bible Christian minister, identified the prisoner as a person whom he married to Henry Benjamin Child, at Moonta, in June, 1880. The certificates of both marriages were produced in court by Mr. Bean. Police constable Jewell deposed to having arrested the prisoner at Moonta, and cautioned her in the usual manner, when she made the following statement—"I cannot see how they can make a case of bigamy out of it, for I was first married in a wrong name, for he told me to say I was called Morris, for I have made a mistake and told the minister that your name was Morris, and you must not make a liar of me." The prisoner was then committed for  must not make a liar of me." The prisoner was then committed for trial.

Cando

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:17 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh Cando! So much to go through. Many thanks. :)

I had pencilled in a couple of the things you found such as the Raines Morris marriage (which seems to fit with the 1866 arrival of that James Raines), and I had found the shocking newspaper report though I could not link it to this family (and was hoping it did not link).

I will ask a moderator to merge the two threads - I was unsure whether to continue on the other thread or start this and I thought it could get confusing as the other thread includes other families and I am specifically looking for info about James Raines on this thread, But I understand that there is a lot of crossover.

I will go through your findings - much appreciated.  :)

Added: I am wondering if the Jyles/Gyles etc link may be related to the accusations in the attached newspaper report and surname changed to distance themselves?  :-\

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: "Genealogy SA" Members?
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I have Florence Adelaide Cock in my database. The Cocks and the Riddles seem to pop into my family tree here and there.
Thomas Cock and Eliza Riddle were married 23 Dec, 1862. Eliza's niece was my great grandfather's second wife. Thomas's brother Josiah married my ggg grandfather's (of a different line) niece.
Florence was born 25th April at Pittenween (sp?) nr Kadina. There were ten children in total. Names are available on GenSA website. Florence was married July 11th 1896 at the Baptist Church Manse at Kadina. She died 29 March 1949 in Adelaide and is buried at West Terrace Cemetery.
The Raines/Wallace marriage took place 27 April 1918 at the Methodist Manse, Wallaroo Mines.

Spike
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Genealogy SA" Members?
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Spike, and thank you for your contribution to my thread. I do have some of the information you provided - I need to check to see what gaps I have. Do you have any information about earlier generations of the Riddles and Cocks?

You must be distantly related to the people I am doing this family history research for. I will try to work out the connection.  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:27 GMT (UK) »
This lad born c1870.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36322185
South Australian Advertiser 5 Feb 1886
A wayward youth of about 16 years of age named James Raines, who was transferred from the Reformatory Hulk to H.MC.S. Protector some eight months ago, thought fit to take French leave on Saturday, and nothing was heard of bim until Thursday, when MC. Singleton was dispatched to search in the vicinity of Magill. He there found the boy's sailor suit, very much cut about (apparently with a pocket knife), under some bushes in the hills. Further search today will probably lead to the arrest of this runaway.

There is a 1899 birth to Henry Benjamin CHILD and Martha Elizabeth CHAPMAN in South Australia.  They had a number of children prior to this date.  The child's registered name was Clarence John. 

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 December 14 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Once newspaper report had his age at 53, another at 55.

RAINES James Edwin  55 years  Status Married  No relative recorded
1 Jun 1927
Residence Edwardstown  Death Place Edwardstown  Ade 495/458

Buried at West Terrace Cemetery at the same location as his wife Florence, Adelaide.
RAINES James Edwin 55 years 
Date of Death: 02 June 1927  [date of burial]
Section Eyre North  Path# 10N  Site#30

Photo of headstone available on request from Kym :)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~deadsearch/cemetery_index.htm

Please note the cemetery, name, photo number and file number in your request.

RAINES James E 1927, Florence 1949    Photo 1871  File 27

Cando