Author Topic: Death of Harriet Beamont after 1871  (Read 9243 times)

Offline Ray H

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Harriet Beamont after 1871
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 15 06:41 BST (UK) »
Eliza Jane Beamont was my Great Grandmother, the adopted daughter of Harriet and John. John Beamont (b.1792) mentions Eliza Jane as "your adopted daughter" in one of his letters to Harriet.

John arrived in Hobart arrived in Sydney from Guernsey in 1812 then went to Tasmania in 1813 where he apparently remained for his lifetime never visiting his home country again

John Beamont married Harriet Emily Evans in Hobart on 11 September 1820. John was 28 and Harriet 16 years of age (B.1804).

Harriet was the daughter of George William and  Jennett (nee Melville) Evans, George being a Surveyor General of Tasmania and explorer in New South Wales.

I do not know when Harriet returned to Guernsey or if she ever visited Tasmania again. Contents of letters allude to strained relationship between Harriet and John's brother's wife taking place in Hobart.

I hold a copy of a letter from John to Harriet in October 1870 addressed to her at No 1 Belmont Terrace, Kings Road, Guernsey. Also shown is Havelot, St Peter Port, (same place?)

Harriet died at that address December 24, 1872, aged 67yrs 2 mths. John Beamont died only a few days earlier on 19th December 1872 in Hobart, Tasmania so Harriet would have never known of his death.

Also, my Grandmother always talked of her father (Eliza Jane's husband, Edwin Janvrin Nicolle) as being "a French doctor". I notice on other posts he was said to have been from Canada.

Hope this is of use to you.

Offline Daphne Fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 April 15 02:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Roy.
Many thanks for the information regarding Harriets Beamonts Death.
I have not found anything to suggest that Edwin Janvrin Nicolle was a doctor .From the census records
he was an ironmonger.
I am happy to pass on any other information to you. Once you have posted 2 more messages on Rootschat you can send a private message
Thanks again, Kerri

Offline Ray H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 April 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
I have more information about Eliza Jane Beamont that may be of interest if you do not already have it.
The 1901 census shows Eliza Jane Nicolle residing at 86 Broad Street, Reading. The census shows all the family being cutlers, I have some of cutlery engraved with the initials EJB and also EJN and one with HN (Harriet)
Children are listed as Graham Beamont, 27y
                               Maud Emily,          19y ( my Grandmother)
                               Stanley                 17y
Stanley was living in Cambridge in the 1950's

There was definitely another daughter, Florence, who was older that Maud, she emigrated to Melbourne, Australia as did Maud in 1912.
There was another son, name unknown, who was serving in the army in the Boer War at Christmas 1900. I still have a box of chocolates that he received as a Christmas gift while in Africa that he sent home to Maud in Broad Street.

As previously mentioned John Beamont died in Hobart in 1872, he was a very wealthy man, his estate being valued at some 28,000 pounds. . ( The wage for an unskilled laborer in 1870 was about 180 pounds a year)
According to his will Harriet was the immediate legatee.

I am interested mainly in the ascendants of Eliza Jane and Edwin Nicholle.
Eliza Jane's parents were George and Eliza Neville, farmers in the County of Hereford, and Eliza was born on 15 August 1849 (?), but that is all I know.

I would like to know of Daphne Fan's connection, I suspect it must be through Eliza Jane's children.
Also, what connection do the MargP "3 generations" have, is it family as there is a remarkable resemblance of one in the picture to my cousin who resided in Newcastle, NSW (Australia).

Trust you will find this interesting !

Offline Daphne Fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Apologies for the typo with your name in my last post.
 I am not related to Eliza Jane's children .My connection is Harriet as she is my 3x great aunt, her brother George is my line.
When your searching for someone you tend go off in other directions and so I have researched Eliza and Edwin's children. In the hope of finding Harriet with them .
The other son you mention is Ernest Melville  Nicolle Born 28 June 1877 baptised 24 march 1880 of Percha Place .Parish of Swansea . County of Glamorgan .Also Florence Emily Born 28 May 1879 Baptised on the same day. Edwin Janvrin Nicolles' occupation Ironmonger.
regards Kerri.

Offline Daphne Fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
You are lucky to have those personal items of Eliza and family.
Can you tell if me  Florence married in Australia?
It was reading John Beamonts' will that I discovered Eliza was an adopted daughter and so the search went overseas for Harriet.
Regards Kerri

Offline Ray H

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 September 18 05:13 BST (UK) »
Kerri, Sorry that it has taken me 4 years to reply !! I lost interest in the subject then forgot about it.
I don't know if Florence was married. It must be the best part of 70 years ago when we visited her terrace house in Collingwood ( a suburb of Melbourne, Aust.)
I do not have any knowledge of her having a spouse or children.
Thanks for the info on Ernest, the name now rings a bell in my mind from something I heard of in the past but can no longer remember.
I guess he was not shown in the 1901 census at Broad Street as he was serving in Africa or resided elsewhere.