Author Topic: Which Isaac TRIPP married Rachel STOCK in Shipham in 1756?  (Read 5773 times)

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Which Isaac TRIPP married Rachel STOCK in Shipham in 1756?
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful for any thoughts on 18th Century TRIPP generations in Shipham, Somerset. Particularly  Isaac TRIPP, who married Rachel STOCK 1 Jun 1756.

The registers for St Leonards Church have two Isaac TRIPPs born around the same time. The first is baptised 26 Oct 1728, the son of Henry and Lydia TRIPP. The second is baptised 27 Mar 1734, the son of William and Hannah TRIPP.

But which one married Rachel STOCK?

A number of online trees have the son of William and Hannah TRIPP marrying Rachel STOCK. But I have not as yet found any evidence to confirm this is correct. It seems that many Ancestry family trees are just playing 'follow the leader' without proof.
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Which Isaac TRIPP married Rachel STOCK in Shipham in 1756?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Isaac TRIPP, of this Parish, Occp Labourer, Married Rachel STOCK, of Shipham Parish, Spinster, 01 June 1856, St Leonard, Shipham
No Witnesses named

Isaac TRYPP, of this Parish, Bachelor, Married Ruth ROE, of this Parish, Spinster, 17 Nov 1760, St James, Winscombe
John ROE/James TRIPP were Witnesses, Marriage by Banns

I think you need to find all the Baptisms of Isaac/Ruth and Isaac/Rachels Children to establish a naming pattern.
One will Couple will have named Children William/Hannah and the other Henry/Lydia hopefully

I did notice Isaac/Rachel name a Son William who was  Baptised 07 Nov 1759 St Leonard.

Also James Tripp Witness to 1760 Marriage may be that Isaacs Brother.

JAMES/RUTH Trypp Baptise;
FLOWER, 21 Jan 1761, St James, Winscombe
ANN, 17 July 1763, St Leonard, Shipham

All above on FreeREG

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 14 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the baptisms for Tripp (and variants) in Shipham on Freereg, it isn't very easy to establish a pattern for either couple.

The only child baptised for Isaac and Rachel Tripp seems to be William in 1759 as already posted.

The only child baptised by Isaac and Ruth Tripp in Shipham is their daughter, Ann in 1763.

There are other Tripp couples baptising children in Shipham, namely Joepsh and Mary, Nathan and Sarah, Jacob and Frances. Judging by the names they use, they are related to Isaac's family.
An example is that of Jacob and Frances Tripp who baptised a daughter, Flower, in Shipham in 1758.

It looks as though both couples baptised children elsewhere, the question is where?

There is a burial for an Isaac (?) Tripp in Shipham in 1774.

Jo

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Trish and Jo. While one line appears to have the name William appear in several generations, it is by no means certain which families belong to which lines. These Tripps also seem to have a connection with Winscombe, not too far from Shipham, so I need to keep looking there.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Darby in Deal, Kent; Palmer in Gravesend, Shorne, Strood, Kent; Stewart & Duncan in Ayrshire; Powell in Limerick

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I had another dig around with this one, trying to see if there were any clues available. I found a marriage in Shipham on 02/09/1759, Nathan Tripp, bachelor of Shipham, Labourer, to Sarah Stock, spinster, of Shipham.

Thinking along the lines that Nathan may be a brother to Isaac, I looked for his baptism. No trace of this unfortunately.

I did find that Nathan and Sarah Tripp had children baptised as follows:

All at Shipham.

09/12/1759, Joel
15/11/1761, Samuel.
08/12/1763, Howard.
01/06/1772, Howard.
01/06/1772, Martha.
29/11/1773, Rachel.

This doesn't help much, sorry.

Jo.

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 08:19 GMT (UK) »
St.Leonards BMD's are online. Try "Somerset Pages".
I have a Mary Ann Tripp Bap.26/1/1812 at St.Leonards, Shipham d/o William and Sarah.
Mary Ann married Samuel Tutton at Dundry 1832.
Have not got back any further with Tripp family.
Regards,
Syljun

My apologies, Grey cells not working this morning. It's not "Somerset Pages". I just googled St.Leonards, Shipham, Somerset.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 December 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Though it doesn't give a definitive answer, I looked at the ages of Rachel Stock and William Tripp b 1734 to find that these are similar. Rachel Stock was baptised in Shipham on 18/09/1733, daughter of John and Rachel Stock.

Rachel Stock had a number of siblings, including a sister, Sarah, baptised 18/03/1734/1735 (shown as per Freereg).

I have also had a look at the family tree of Henry Tripp, married to Judith Lydia, their son Isaac born 1728, would have been 5 years older than Rachel Stock. Though not impossible they would have married, it would have been more likely that Isaac b1734 would have been her spouse. The names of the children of Henry and Lydia Tripp do not include a son by the name of William.

I cannot find a baptism for Ruth Roe at all on Freereg. This would have helped compare ages at least.

There is an interesting tree on Ancestry which has Nathan Tripp baptised 1732, Shipham d1778, Shipham. This shows he was married to Sarah Stock. The tree doesn't show an Isaac Tripp but there are other siblings shown for Nathan. The parents of Nathan are given as William Tripp b1697, Shipham and Elizabeth Stenning, b1703. The parents of William Tripp born 1697, are John Tripp (1643-1741) and Hannah Hitchcock.

Looking to verify these entries on Freereg had complications in that the baptism of William Tripp in 1697 shows he is the son of John and Hannah Tripp. There is another baptism for William Tripp in Shipham in 1692 and this has his parents as John and Deborah Tripp. Just to make matters worse, there are two baptisms for William Tripp in Winscombe in 1704 and 1706, both show his father as Henry Tripp.

I think the Freereg entries case doubt on the tree details.

My view is that the parents of Isaac Tripp, who married Rachel Stock, are more likely to be William and Hannah Tripp but proving it might be another matter.

Jo.

Offline apalmer1662

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 January 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jo. Coming back to my investigation after a Christmas break. I'm inclined to agree with you regarding William and Hannah being Isaac's parents. Thanks for your research.

Andrew

Offline stockaaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 17 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I'm wondering if these stocks are related to me.

Please see my first post for information of my ggg-grandfather Samuel Stock.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763170.msg6147377#msg6147377