Author Topic: Help identify church in Bucks or Oxon  (Read 2127 times)

Offline JJENG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help identify church in Bucks or Oxon
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi - can anyone help me identify the church in the attached picture, please? My g/grandfather Frank Morton Jeffs is second row, second from left, fair hair with whiskers.  Date of picture and his age not known, but he was born 1867 in Buckingham and was living in Warkworth / Grimsbury area of Banbury from 1885 and Gawcott, Bucks thereafter from about 1898.  I have also posted this on the Oxfordshire county topic forum. My web search has been unsuccessful, so any help will be much appreciated.   
Buckingham/Gawcott/Bucks - Jeffs; Bedfordshire - Morton; Oxon - Budd; Northampton - Cox; Duncton/Chichester/Sussex - Shepherd and Souter; Dublin, Brighton, Chiswick - Carthy.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Help identify church in Bucks or Oxon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Gawcott is a very short walk from . . . . .

St Peter and St Paul Buckingham Church
Castle Hill, Buckingham, MK18 1BY

Anyone live close enough to verify?

OR,
Why not email the photo to the church and see if they recognise anything?

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline JJENG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 December 14 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Ray - thanks for your interest. From the photos of St.Peter and St.Paul seen on the internet, it does not seem to resemble the church and is a much taller structure.  That's a good idea to email one or two churches in the Gawcott area see if they can help. Thanks again.
Buckingham/Gawcott/Bucks - Jeffs; Bedfordshire - Morton; Oxon - Budd; Northampton - Cox; Duncton/Chichester/Sussex - Shepherd and Souter; Dublin, Brighton, Chiswick - Carthy.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 December 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The photo does not have to be taken directly in front of the actual "church" buildings.

There are other very similar buildings at the road junction end of church Street [ note windows ].
[ Use   z o o p l a   to view? ]

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).