Author Topic: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick  (Read 25456 times)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick
« on: Thursday 04 December 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fellow Sufferers!
I am trying to ascertain my gg grandfather's point of origin in Ireland. Patrick McDonald (b. 1843-'47, depending upon which record is referenced), and lived in Fall River, Mass. between c. 1864-1890. (he died 3 Jun, 1890). He married Anna O'Brien.  I am not sure if they were married in Ireland or Fall River. Her parents were listed as John and Catherine on Record of Death. She made have had a brother, Edward, as he is named as sponsor for their son in baptism record.
Anna died in 18881, and Patrick remarried to Eliza Cavanaugh in '87. Per the record for this 2nd marriage, his parents were Thomas and Sarah. They are also named as his parents on record of death.
I tracked down a naturalization record on familysearch which looks promising. It states his place of birth as Co. Carlow. No parish or townland mentioned.
I also believe Patrick was Catholic. He was a prominent member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in Fall River.
According to rootsireland, Co. Carlow has many church records ready to go online, they just haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am hopeful that someone may have info on Thomas McDonald, his wife, Sarah (nee unknown), Patrick McDonald, and his wife, Anna O'Brien.
I would greatly appreciate any leads.
Thanks!
Steve
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, quick question. In the 1860 US census, Patrick appears living in Fall River, Mass with his family who are;

Daniel McDonald age 62 b. Ire
Johannah McDonald age 60 b. Ire
John McDonald age 30 b. Ire
Elisabeth McDonald age 23 b. Ire
Johannah McDonald age 24 b. Ire
Patrick McDonald age 17 b. Ire
Ella McDonald age 15 b. Ire

This appears to be the correct Patrick going by the info you provided. Do you think this is him?? Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 December 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Thanks for replying!
For a while I was considering this Patrick, however, I'm fairly certain he is not my Patrick.  I have Thomas and Sarah as my Patrick's parents.  They are listed on the record of his 2nd marriage and on his record of death. I also believe my ancestor to have arrived c. 1864. The naturalization record I have provides this info. I realize that naturalization records are often falsely dated in order to prove a person's minority status on arrival. However, the Patrick in Daniel's family also shows up in the 1855 Mass. State census, so he had been in Fall River since he was a kid. I just don't see him as being my guy.  I believe Daniels son, Patrick, married a Bridget, as I find them in later censuses in Fall River.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 January 15 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, I'm wondering if these two may be related. In Providence, Rhode Island in the 1860 census appears a Sarah McDonald age 75 with a Matthew McDonald age 27. There are also 2 Thomas McDonalds who appear in the 1850 census in Providence, one with a son John age 22. There are quite a few other McDonalds who appear in the same area at the same time. It might be worth checking them out as Providence and Fall River are quite close to  each other. If you look at the Tithe Applotment books 1814-1855, in 1824 a Thomas McDonald is found in Old Leighlin, Crlow and yet by the time Griffiths Valuation is taken 1848-1864,  Thomas McDonald does not appear. So it is very possible by this time they have gone to the US maybe with father Thomas McDonald going first and Sarah folllowing. Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 January 15 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Thank you for this.  I'm going to check out the Providence leads. I did consider that Patrick may have lived somewhere else in New England before moving to Fall River.  I don't know why, but I never thought of his father, Thomas and mother, Sarah moving here from Ireland.  I just assumed he came alone, or with wife, Anna.
The thing I would question is, if the Naturalization petition I have for Patrick is even remotely accurate, he would not have arrived until 1864.  Unless you're suggesting that Thomas came over early enough to be in the 1850 census, where you find him in Providence, and then sending for his wife and son.  That could be possible.
Anyway, thank you! This has stoked my fire!  I'm off to search. If you come up with anything else please advise.
Thanks!

Steve

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 January 15 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this may help. If you go onto the site rootsireland.ie they have a birth for Patrick McDonald son of Thomas Mcdonald of county Carlow if you fill in 1843 +/- 10 years. It is a pay per view site. The mother's name does not come up as sarah but many times a wife's name was not recorded on the birth. Let me know if this is any help, Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 January 15 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Thanks for this!  I didn't think Carlow had any online records on rootsireland. I will definitely check this out.
Thanks!

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 January 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi, this may help. If you go onto the site rootsireland.ie they have a birth for Patrick McDonald son of Thomas Mcdonald of county Carlow if you fill in 1843 +/- 10 years. It is a pay per view site. The mother's name does not come up as sarah but many times a wife's name was not recorded on the birth. Let me know if this is any help, Kim

That shows up as the baptism of a Patrick Mcdonald to a Thomas and "S" Mcdonald in Borris in 1839
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:10 GMT (UK) »
This is really interesting! I can't thank you enough for this info. I was tentative about the naturalization record being that of my Patrick, since there are a few in Fall River at that time.  However, the other nat. papers of Patrick McDonalds all had either different occupations listed, or were naturalized after my Patrick's death. Finding a Thomas and "S" McDonald with a son Patrick really starts to firm things up! How concerned should I be about the birth year? The earliest birth I have for him is 1843. I know birth years can fluctuate greatly.Incidentally, I found the nat. record of Michael O'Brien, whom I believe to be a relative of Patrick's wife Anna (O'Brien).  His nat record lists Carlow as well as place of birth.
Thanks again, guys!
Steve