Author Topic: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick  (Read 25458 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, I was looking at Borris parish records and noted that the Thomas McDonald who appears in those records with Sally Rice as wife when children are born, was also noted earlier on as being married to Mary Kavanagh and residing in Raheen townland then too. If you believe this to be the correct Thomas. If this is the correct Thomas his marriage to Sarah/Sally may be just noted in a parish register as he may have come to the marriage with young children as he seems to have had some children with Mary as well as Sarah. Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, I came across a couple of bits and think they may be people you are looking for.

Marriage:

23 February 1808
John Brien (cert) and Catharine Byrne
married in St Mullins

Birth:

19 Dec 1808
Biddy Brien
parents: John and Catharine Brien
born in St Mullins

Hi Kim,
This is interesting. I was following John Bryan and Catherine Doyle.  They were married in Borris, 23 Jan, 1839.  Then I have an Ann Bryan, bap. 4 Aug, 1839 to John Bryan and Catherine Doyle at Rahanna (Ann O'Brien is the wife of my Pat. McDonald). I found 8 other baptisms with John Bryan (Brien) and Catherine Doyle as parents, most name address as Rahana. The eldest was  Michael bap. 1837 ( this stumps me, because he is born before parents married). I am almost led to believe their was another couple with the same names in Borris at that time. I have 2 baptisms in 1846 with parents Catherine Doyle and John Bryan. One address is Knockroe, (Moses) the other is Rahana (Catherine).
Anyway, it's not much to go on, but Annie O'Brien's parents were named as John and Catherine on her record of death in Fall River.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks!
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, I was looking at Borris parish records and noted that the Thomas McDonald who appears in those records with Sally Rice as wife when children are born, was also noted earlier on as being married to Mary Kavanagh and residing in Raheen townland then too. If you believe this to be the correct

Hi Kim,
I don't find a Sally Rice when I search.  I have been tracking Thomas McDonald and Sally Neil, married 24 Apr 1834. All baptisms I find with them as parents list address as Raheen.
Thanks,
Steve

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 January 15 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve, I was looking at the Borris parish registers online on county Carlow genealogy. I do have transcribed the marriages for Borris from 1792 onwards and also the records of St Mullins. I think you may be experiencing a bit of my question which parents do you go with? As to Michael's birth in 1837, I will be going over to the National Library next week and can look at 1837 parish registers for Borris to see what it says if anything about birth of Michael. Do you happen to know month he was baptised? Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 January 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Thanks for your help. Michael Bryan was bap. 24 Aug 1837 to John and Catherine (Doyle), Rahana, Borris, according to record on rootsireland. As I mentioned, there is also a record of marriage from 1839, Borris, which appears to be for his parents. I'm assuming one of the dates was erroneously transcribed. That said, it is somewhat overwhelming dealing with so many "same names".  For instance, there is also a record of marriage from 1831 for a John Brien and Catherine Doyle, address Leighlinbridge! I have adopted the attitude of really staying within parish limits (in my case, Borris) to stay on track. Of course this may prove to be the wrong way to go, as I have never been to Ireland! Someday.......!
 I have been pretty fortunate, as all the McDonalds have been found in Raheen, and most of my O'Briens (Bryan, Brien) have been in Rahana.  These 2 families hinge on Patrick MacDonald and Anna O'Brien's marriage, a record of which I have yet to find!  I just feel as though they must have lived nearby each other, and their records of birth that are on rootsirland have the right parents' names.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 January 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I actually have looked at, and ruled out the female child born 1869, and yes, there was another Patrick McDonald and Anne O'Brien with a large family in Fall River at that time.  They were married in Lowell, Mass. in 1853.  I have been able to differentiate them from my family by his occupation (wool sorter) and address in the Fall River directories. They are also much older than mine.
 I attribute the child who was born 1869 ( and died-she was stillborn) and Catherine to the older Patrick and Anne because  the address given for both children on death cert match the address of wool sorter Patrick in that year's directory. There was another child, Ellen, born and died 1867 to parents of the same name, who are in my tentative folder, because the address given cannot be verified by city directory.

I checked the censuses and Griffith's but came up with nothing.

Have just had a quick look on Griffiths Valuation and there is a Thomas Mcdonnell listed as holding 6 acres and 4 perches from Henry Newton.
Worth a look as sometimes Mcdonald and Mcdonnelll were used interchangebly.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&PlaceID=177141&county=Carlow&barony=Idrone,%20east&parish=Kiltennell&tow

Also on the 1901 census a Michael Macdonald listed with family in Raheendarragh Rathanna.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Carlow/Rathanna/Raheendarragh/1039918/

Above is assuming the family you are interested in were from Raheendarragh, Rathanna and not Raheenkyle, Rathanna.
Actually looking at Raheenkyle there are 2 Mcdonnell families there as well on Griffiths
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 January 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I am a bit confused about the Raheen locality.  I was under the impression that Raheen and Rathana were towns within Borris parish. The records I am looking at (baptism and marriage) from rootsireland mostly have either Raheen (McDonalds) or Rahana (Bryan, Brien) as townland and Borris as Parish/District. The Michael McDonald census you linked me to looks pretty promising.  Would he and his family still be in what was considered Borris parish during the census?
I am trying to ascertain which, if any, of Patrick's siblings stayed in Ireland, particularly Borris parish. Am I thinking right?

Thanks again. Any thoughts welcomed gratefully.
Steve

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 23 January 15 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I am a bit confused about the Raheen locality.  I was under the impression that Raheen and Rathana were towns within Borris parish. The records I am looking at (baptism and marriage) from rootsireland mostly have either Raheen (McDonalds) or Rahana (Bryan, Brien) as townland and Borris as Parish/District. The Michael McDonald census you linked me to looks pretty promising.  Would he and his family still be in what was considered Borris parish during the census?
I am trying to ascertain which, if any, of Patrick's siblings stayed in Ireland, particularly Borris parish. Am I thinking right?

Thanks again. Any thoughts welcomed gratefully.
Steve

Rathanna is a townsland and a village(well just a few houses and a church really).Raheen is a townsland.
Townsland is basically an area of from 50 to 1000 acres of land with anything from none to 50 houses present.Basically its the smallest division of area in rural Ireland.
Parish in the sense you are using is the Roman Catholic parish of Borris Carlow.It contains 3 churches ie Borris,Ballymurphy and Rathanna.

Another map.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,676361,650411,4,3
Use this and you can find both Rathanna and Raheen to the East of Borris village.

Not a great explanation I will admit but people in Ireland are so familar with the concept of townslands that we rarely think about it.

http://www.borrisparish.ie/map/
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 24 January 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Actually, it's townland not townsland. This is a great site for finding details of townlands and civil parishes anywhere in Ireland-
http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!