Author Topic: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick  (Read 25427 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 26 February 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Steve, found some more info for you.

Marriage:
September 1865
West Derby,Lancashire,England
Patrick McDonald + Ann Bryan

Births:

Sarah June 1866

Sarah December 1866

Sarah Catherine December 1869

all three births took place in West Derby. If you want to look at other births in West Derby,Lancashire,England as there are quite a few and may have been child/children born to them that subsequently died google freeBMD and use the search facility.

Also found;

1861 England census

Ann Bryan
born @ 1840
Wexford,Ireland
in Dun household
in West Derby,Lancashire,England
(I know it says Wexford but may be just goof.This is why they married in West Derby as it was the bride's parish)

Patrick McDonald
born @ 1838
Ireland
in Crowley household
Liverpool,Lancashire,England

or
Patrick McDonald
born @ 1840
Ireland
in Greedy household
in Ardwick,Lancashire,England

one of these Patricks is probably yours.Hope this helps,Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 27 February 15 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kim,
Whoa! I just last week received this very record of Marriage for Patrick and Ann Bryan from West Derby from the GRO! I've been very excited, as I feel I have finally found out where they were married. I didn't even think to check the 1861 census!
 I had for some time been thinking they were married before travelling to America. I also received a copy of  the parish record (Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception) in Liverpool from a kind respondent on the Lancs query board. Here are my questions:

First, both records (church and civil) I have indicate the date of marriage was 13 Aug 1865. I notice you have Sept 1865. Is this just because that was the quarter the marriage was registered in?

Secondly, I posted twice on the Lancashire board seeking info on any children that may have been born to them. All replies basically said there were no records they could find ( I asked for a time frame 1865-1870).

In the 1870 census, Fall River, MA, they have 1 child-Sarah! On that census it says she was born in Mass. in March of 1870. I have always suspected there were child(ren) born between 1865 and 1870. May I ask how you found all those Sarahs? Do the records you saw have Patrick and Ann as parents?
I am so glad you found this! You say freebmd is what I should check?

Thanks Kim!!
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 27 February 15 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Kim,
I just found the birth index entry you mentioned on familysearch for Sarah Catherine McDonald. This is intriguing as Sarah is Patrick's mother and Catherine is Ann's mother. I just realized something-did you do a search for Sarahs? I would imagine you would not know the names of parents on the actual record. If I were to find a possible record of birth, could I order it from the GRO?
Thanks!
Steve

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 02 March 15 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I'd say that the marriage of Anne + Patrick was probably recorded in the Sept-Dec quarter as on the BMDfree index everything is recorded by quarters. As to the free bmd index I just inserted name McDonald into search 1865-1869 yrs and West Derby place. I zeroed in on Sarah as she is the only child you mentioned prior to 1870. The only thing about the bmd index is parents are not listed. But I would say you could possibly get it from the GRO if you received the marriage copy from there.

There are 65 children on the FreeBMD index born in West Derby between March 1866 and Dec 1869. I did check and it looks as though they may have had a Sarah born in 1866 who subsequently died age 2 in West Derby March 1869. They then named daughter born Dec 1869 same name. Funny as a family member of mine with daughter Sarah born in Lancashire as well did the exact same thing and then like your McDonalds went to US.

On last bit. In the 1861 census there is an Edward O'Brien with wife Elizabeth who is born 1809 in Ireland in West Derby same time as Patrick & Anne. Could he be related???

Hope this is useful, Kim

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 02 March 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim,
Very interesting about our ancestors' similar emigration! I wonder if the Edward in West Derby at that time could be Ann's uncle. I have an Edward O'Brien as the sponsor of Patrick and Ann's son, John (my g-grandfather) in Fall River in 1876. Maybe the son of Edward in West Derby.
Great info!
Thanks again, Kim,
Steve

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
If I could magically get an answer to just one question re: this post, it would be this:

I have baptisms of 4 children of Thomas MacDonald and Mary Cavanaugh in Raheen, from 1825-1833. They were: Judith, James, Bridget, and Thomas.

I then have a marriage of Thomas MacDonald and Sarah Neil, 1833, Raheen.

Then the bap. records of their children from 1833-1849: John, James, Patrick (my 2x great grandfather), Andrew, Bernard, Michael, and Mary.

Although it certainly appears that Thomas remarried in 1833, I have some reservations.
I have a headstone transcription in Rathanna, for a John MacDonald, father of Thomas. According to the stone, John died in 1830. Also buried, according to the stone, are Michael  and Mary, who are the son and daughter from Thomas and Sarah.
The other reason I believe these may be 2 different Thomas MacDonalds is the first-born sons' names. The first son of Thomas and Mary was James, born 1827.
The first son of Thomas and Sarah was John, born 1835. It seems likely that John would have been named after his grandfather, John. I believe that the John MacDonald buried at Rathanna was the father of the Thomas MacDonald who married Sarah, and named their first son John.

There are some problems with my theory. The most salient to me is the fact that, after 1833, there are no more bap records from Thomas and Mary Cavanaugh. The last was Thomas in May of 1833 (incidentally, Sarah Neil was a sponsor!). In April, 1834, Thomas and Sarah wed.
I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or knowledge of records or info I may be overlooking. It might be wishful thinking on my part. My line comes fro Patrick, John and Sarah's son. Actually, I should hope that this is the same Thomas, and he just remarried, rather than discovering there was yet another Thomas MacDonald in Raheen!!
Thank you!

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup of Thomas & Sarah McDonald: Parents of Patrick *COMPLETED*
« Reply #60 on: Friday 22 July 16 01:06 BST (UK) »
Basically just got confirmation this is my family. Thank you all who have helped. I visited Borris last year and fell in love with my ancestral homeland. We Americans are sometimes thought of as brusque and ill-mannered. Probably true, but I think we also suffer from a feeling of being orphaned. I envy those whose families chose to stay in their birth homes, where they really feel at "home."
Kindest Regards.
Stephen