Author Topic: Mary Barrett b1862 Newcastle Upon Tyne  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Jeanettearchbold

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Barrett b1862 Newcastle Upon Tyne
« on: Friday 05 December 14 00:47 GMT (UK) »
My paternal grandmother Mary Barrett married Ralph Archbold in South Shields, Durham in October 1891. I believe that her father was John Barrett but I cannot find any information on him or his family.  If anyone has any information that could help me get unstuck I would be really grateful!
Jeanette Archbold

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Barrett b1862 Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 December 14 04:00 GMT (UK) »
There seems to be two Mary Barretts born in Newcastle Upon Tyne. The one born in 1862 I can't find on the census

The other Mary Barret born in 1860 in England was John and Ann Barrett's  daughter and Mary Greasly's grandaughter. She appears on the 1871 census.
All the adults born in Ireland.

Do you know where Mary Archbold died?
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 December 14 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeanette and welcome to Rootschat ..
this record confirms your theory that John Barrett was Marys father -and she was b 1862
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNVF-S57
Ralph aged 31
Mary aged 29 at marriage
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 December 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
posting these 2 christenings so that you can see where they were living in 1893 and 1898
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1FM-P5T
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J75J-MLZ
did they have any more children other than John and Ralph ??
 :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Jeanettearchbold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 December 14 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your response, it's good to know I'm on the right track!  I believe Mary had a son James when she married Ralph, but I know nothing about him, except he shows up in censuses as Archbold*. Ralph had been married previously and had other children, one boy, John George who drowned in Blyth, and he had a daughter Mary Ann who he brought into his marriage with Mary. As a couple Ralph and Mary had two other children who must have died in infancy, Ralph (Archibald) b.1898 and Georgina b.1902.
* My deceased grandfather, John Archbold had told family that he remembers James as his half brother Jimmy Carroll, a jockey, but neither my sister or I have found any information on him in that capacity, or at all after the 1901 census when he was 15 years old, occupation, miner. They were living in Cowpen, Blyth at that time.  Mary died in June 1943 in Tynemouth, Northumberland.
Jeanette Archbold