Author Topic: The Very Mysterious John FLETCHER  (Read 19982 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Very Mysterious John FLETCHER
« Reply #18 on: Monday 08 December 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,

We'll end up related yet! I'm also a MCKINNON descendant. My grandmother, Catherine MCKINNON (1889 - 1937) was born at Kenegharair, Mull (spelling?) to Neil MCKINNON (of Burg, Kilninian) and Annie PATERSON. She married Alexander FLETCHER (1890 - 1950), nephew of the mysterious John FLETCHER, in 1928. I have more on the Kilninian MCKINNONs if you want.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 December 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Keilnoening maybe? That's at Kilninian and not far from Burg.
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,

I finally checked the spelling and my grandmother FLETCHER (nee MCKINNON) was born at Kengarhair. Those Gaelic names! My Dad is great with them (he had Gaelic before English) but they sure challenge me.

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,

My father was here today and I asked him to tell me again where Colin FLETCHER, nephew to John FLETCHER, was living during the years that he would have been given the task of winding up the affairs of his uncle, who reportedly "lived the rest of his days in Taynuilt" under the assumed name of John MCDONALD.

In 1929, when Colin would have become of age to look after people's affairs, he was still with his parents on Ulva, where his father, Colin FLETCHER Sr., was farmer. About 1932, the family went to Glengorm and old Colin died there not too long after. The family stayed until about 1936 then went to Antium. When young Colin married, about 1938, he went to work at Torloisk for manager Hugh McInnes (name uncertain) and when this manager left about 1940, Colin followed him to Ardnasaig on Loch Awe side. When McInnes returned to Torloisk about 1943/1944, Colin followed him back! Colin remained at Torloisk until his own retirement.

It may be that Colin was living nearest to his uncle John in the early 1940s when he was at Ardnasaig. That makes sense because John would have been over 80 years old by then.

Thanks for your input!

Mary

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying to figure out where Kengarhair is I'm sure I should know having lived outside Dervaig for 2 years!  :-\

Leaving Dervaig going over the bridge to the west the road branches in two the right fork goes round the coast passed Calgary Bay and back eventually to meet the other road, the left fork goes over the hill (short cut  ;) ) which road is Kengarhair on?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Mary and Fifer, hello both  :) Always great when you see people trying to make the personal connections.

Mary from your last info...There is no death in the Registration District of Muckairn (for Taynuilt) for a John M*don* (for spelling variations) or also a John Fletcher, born 1860 +/- 5yrs, between 1925-60.

I got excited about the single hit for a John M*cDon* with the above profile, but turns out he was a James Johnstone McDonald aged 82 who died in 1947 in the Muckairn area.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Taynuilt is the wrong place Monica, Ardanaiseig (Kilchrenan) on Loch Awe more likely a good bit nearer me (other side of the loch) on the A85 - as it happens  :D

From my 'hoose' I can see both the A85 and A84 - your puzzle for the day is where do I live  ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Ok...new search!

Only 3 deaths entries for a John McDonald (with the criteria as above re wildcards etc...). I think two of them are the same John as same year and ref no. Ages all out by a couple of years:

1. and 2. John Mac/McDonald, aged 62 death in 1925.
3. John Ellen McDonald , aged 71 died in 1933 (other surname McKinnon, but that is not in mother's maiden name box).

Not sure at all really  :-\

Nothing still with Fletcher in Kilchrenan.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Fifer,

Kengharair Farm is located at Grid Ref. 436486 on OS Sheet48 Ben More and Mull.(1976)

About 2.5m south of Dervaig, to the east of the hill road over to Torloisk, overlooking the River Bellart.  The access track to the property leads off the Torloisk road, midway through the tight uphill U-bend in the road.
Over the years the spelling has changed from Kingarbh(1882), Kingharair(1897) to its present Kengharair.

Regards
Istrice