Author Topic: Shetland Historical Records  (Read 5419 times)

Offline AncestryNeeded

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shetland Historical Records
« on: Saturday 06 December 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking into Shetland names and was wondering if anybody has come across any historical records from the time frame 1100 to early 15th century which lists many names of individuals living on Shetland Islands. This would be things like Tax rolls, court records, assize rolls etc. The more names included the better.

Thank You

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Shetland Historical Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

This is a very good source of info www.bayanne.info/Shetland/index.php

Also, www.shetland-fhs.org.uk/

A brief historic summary here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland  Likely the surnames, records etc will reflect its diverse history between the 11th-15th Centuries.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AncestryNeeded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thank you for the link.

I had a look around those websites and couldn't see anything which matches what I'm looking for.

I'm really looking for specific sources like the ones I mentioned in the earlier post.

Can you think of any specific sources?

Offline AncestryNeeded

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
In particular I am looking for records with the prefixes to surnames in place i.e. John le Smith, Robert de Moncrieff etc.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 16 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, AncestryNeeded,

I don't know how successful you will be in tracking down such documentary evidence as you have requested.  You have to realize that Shetland and its' islands did not become part of Scotland until the 15th century having been colonised during the late 8th and 9th centuries by the Norse.  From c. 1100 onwards the Norse jarls owed allegiance both to Norway and to the Scottish crown through their holdings as Earls of Caithness.  In 1194 King Sverre of Norway placed Shetland under direct Norwegian rule, a state of affairs that continued for nearly two centuries.  Orkney and Shetland were still a Norwegian province during the 14th century up until approximately the mid-15th century, 1469 to be precise when the islands became part of a dowry pledge.  As the pledged money was never paid the islands fell into a perpetual connection with the Kingdom of Scotland.  During the years 1470 through 1472 the islands gradually came under further control of the Kingdom of Scotland being directly annexed to Scotland in 1471, followed by confirmation by Parliament in 1472.

That having been said there are two collections of early documentation that have been compiled but are available only in book format, so far as I know:

1.  Shetland documents, 1195-1579
Statement of Responsibility:
edited by John H. Ballantyne and Brian Smith
Authors:
Ballantyne, John H. (Added Author)
Smith, Brian (Added Author)
Format:
Books/Monographs
Language:
English
English, Middle (ca. 1100-1400)
Norwegian
Publication:
Lerwick, Shetland : Shetland Islands Council & the Shetland Times, c1999
Physical:
xxii, 359 p.
ISBN:
Subject Class:
941.11 H29
References:
(Continued By) Shetland documents, 1580-1611 / Ballantyne, John H.

2.  Shetland documents, 1580-1611
edited by John H. Ballantyne and Brian Smith
Authors:
Ballantyne, John H. (Added Author)
Smith, Brian (Added Author)
Format:
Books/Monographs
Language:
English
Publication:
Lerwick, Shetland : Shetland Islands Council & the Shetland Times, c1994
Physical:
xxii, 329 p.
ISBN:
Subject Class:
941.11 H29
References:
(Continues) Shetland documents, 1195-1579 / Ballantyne, John H.

If you Google search each book by its ISBN number you will find a few booksellers, including Amazon offering up the first book for around CDN$69.00 while the second book is a phenomenal CDN$136.00 to CDN$290.00.  You might be able to find one or both on eBay at a considerably lower price.  Or you might want to try your luck on https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch

Search on the Advanced search options and input 'Shetland documents' into the 'title' section.  Then click on the book title links to see what institutions have a copy.

Interestingly, the World Cat turned up another compilation of early Shetland documents:

3.  Diplomatarium Hialtlandense : documents relating to the Shetland Islands from the xiiith century.

Publisher:   Lerwick : C. & A. Sandison, 1886-1888.
Edition/Format:      Print book : English
Database:   WorldCat

This book, having been printed before the invention of ISB numbers is lacking one making a search for the title the only route available.  This one is only located in the National Library of Scotland and the University of St. Andrews Library.

Another one that may be useful:

4.  Lords and men in Scotland : bonds of manrent, 1442-1603
Jenny Wormald
Authors:
Wormald, Jenny (Main Author)
Format:
Books/Monographs
Language:
English
Publication:
Edinburgh : John Donald, c1985
Physical:
ix, 475 p.
ISBN:
Subject Class:
941 R2

Also possibly useful would be:

5.  Rotuli scaccarii regum Scotorum = The Exchequer rolls of Scotland (28 vols. covering A.D. 1264-1556)
Title Also Known As:
Exchequer rolls of Scotland
edited by John Stuart and George Burnett
Authors:
Scotland. Exchequer (Main Author)
Format:
Books/Monographs/Book on Film
Language:
English
Latin
Publication:
Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1984 Add to Print List
Notes
Microreproduction of originals published: Edinburgh : H. M. General Register House, 1878-1898. 28 v.

You may find some useful footnotes in the above publications that will lead you back to the original source and archive.  Otherwise, you may have to brush up on your Norwegian and pay a visit to the Norwegian State Archives.

Good luck with this.  I would be most interested in how you progress as I have deep lineage in Shetland through my father's paternal grandmother's mother, Margaret Gray.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Shetland surnames! as the Scots were settling in Shetland long before it became part of Scotland this is reflected in the names. The names with a "son" suffix might not be that old, once you're back into the 18th century John Manson could be the son of Magnus Laurenson for example, whose father might have been Laurence Nicolson.

Skoosh.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 16 17:37 BST (UK) »
Suggest you read the "House of Moncrieff" you might find you seek as it also covers the Shetland Branch. It is available online https://archive.org/details/houseofmoncrieff00seto you can select the pdf version and save it to your PC if you wish.  And, it is in English.

As far as John Smith is concerned, you might find something written as Smyth/Smythe or Smethe/Smithe which I have seen written in 17thC documents for the Ile.  I imagine there will be more variations as Skoosh pointed out the further you go back. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.