Author Topic: James Ferguson 1875 - 1958 (approx)  (Read 3634 times)

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann McShane looking for ancestors
    • View Profile
James Ferguson 1875 - 1958 (approx)
« on: Saturday 06 December 14 18:07 GMT (UK) »
James Ferguson was my Great Grandfather. I would like to know more about him and a bit further back. His father was also James Ferguson and his mother Anne McDiarmid. They came from Govan in Glasgow i believe. My Great Grandfather was a professional organist i have been told. I would love to hear from anyone who shares the same family or anyone who can help me further.
Thank you
Mary  ;)
Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.
Also McShane parent Henry McShane

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Ferguson 1875 - 1958 (approx)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary

Have you worked further back from James Ferguson and Anne McDiarmid? Their marriage as you know would help you with their parents' details etc https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTBV-4ZF

Mary, there is a family tree on a/try for this line, is it yours? If not, it is likely connected family. Maybe son Duncan's.

You likely have censuses, but just adding the 1891 entry:

James Ferguson 43 Friendly Society Collector & Factor b. Glasgow
Annie Ferguson 39 b. Ireland
Agnes Ferguson 19, Weaver & Music Teacher https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ75-4XX
James Ferguson 16 Engineer's Apprentice
Marion Ferguson 12
Thomas Wm Ferguson 9 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTXC-4XS
John Ferguson 5
Duncan F F Ferguson 3  possible... https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC7F-9SH
Andrew Ferguson 1

Address: 70 McLellan St, Govan

One other possible daughter, Margaret, shows here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQDX-4VP

With sister Agnes showing as both a weaver and music teacher, likely music would feature in the family and your James also got involved in music?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
The family are at 697 Govan Rd in 1901. Andrew last born to the family it seems. Your James, aged 26 and a house painter. However, likely as Agnes in 1891, James being known to be a professional organist may have come in later years or been an additional source of income along with his trade of being a house painter. Father James Snr also showed as a house painter in 1901.

Have you followed his through to 1911 and marriage, children and death certs to see what shows for him?

Monica

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

That's wonderful, i do have further back ! My GG Grandad James, his parents Anne McDiarmid and James Ferguson. His parents were James Ferguson and Agnes Turner !! But my GG Grandad James wife GG Grandmother Elizabeth Boyle McLaren, her father was Duncan so they must have shared a home.
You're a star finding that x

Hi Mary

Have you worked further back from James Ferguson and Anne McDiarmid? Their marriage as you know would help you with their parents' details etc https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTBV-4ZF

Mary, there is a family tree on a/try for this line, is it yours? If not, it is likely connected family. Maybe son Duncan's.

You likely have censuses, but just adding the 1891 entry:

James Ferguson 43 Friendly Society Collector & Factor b. Glasgow
Annie Ferguson 39 b. Ireland
Agnes Ferguson 19, Weaver & Music Teacher https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ75-4XX
James Ferguson 16 Engineer's Apprentice
Marion Ferguson 12
Thomas Wm Ferguson 9
John Ferguson 5
Duncan F F Ferguson 3
Andrew Ferguson 1

Address: 70 McLellan St, Govan

One other possible daughter, Margaret, shows here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQDX-4VP

With sister Agnes showing as both a weaver and music teacher, likely music would feature in the family and your James also got involved in music?

Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you worked back on the censuses of James Snr. to flesh out his family a little? Annie McDermid might be trickier if she was the only one from her family over in Scotland from Ireland (always hard if that is the case).

Monica

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 December 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
No i haven't got that far as yet, i had started this a while back and got a little lost and gave up. A new addititon to the family has started me off again. I will go down the route you have advised :) The music connection is funny, my father was very interested in music as was my brother and three of my nephews are musicians in bands. To the best of my knowledge, more family ended up in Australia and one became quite well known for her singing. It's amazing what family research discovers isn't it !!

Have you worked back on the censuses of James Snr. to flesh out his family a little? Annie McDermid might be trickier if she was the only over in Scotland from Ireland (always hard if that is the case).

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 December 14 21:02 GMT (UK) »

... It's amazing what family research discovers isn't it !!

That is what makes it all the more fun...good or bad really.

Let me see if I can find anything more going back for them and will post if I do.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 December 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Do you have the name of Annie McDermid's parents from her certs?

Monica

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 December 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I do, Anne McDiarmids parents were Thomas McDiarmid born i believe in 1825 and her Mum was Margaret Dillon also born i think in 1825 and that is as far back as i have managed to find. Thanks for your help Monica, it's very much appreciated x

Do you have the name of Annie McDermid's parents from her certs?

Monica