Author Topic: Possible to see a marriage license from 1827?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline Jayne Bentley Stidham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible to see a marriage license from 1827?
« on: Sunday 07 December 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there a way to view a marriage license from September 1827 between John Bentley and Rebecca Morley? I am trying to confirm the paternal line of BENTLEY and need to see if I can confirm the parents of JOHN BENTLEY. He was born on 09/28/1804 and as far as I can make out his parents were John Bentley and Mary or Sarah Marsden. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to see a marriage license from 1827?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 14 01:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately, marriages prior to the start of civil registration in 1837 did not include the name of the father.  The on line transcription on Findmypast only gives the bride and groom's names and the date of the marriage, assuming that it's the marriage that took place in Selby.

The only other information that you could see would be the witness', but you would have to go to whatever archives hold the parish register for Selby.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 December 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jayne
Bee is correct, parents names are not given on marriage licenses before 1837.
However, sometimes you can get unexpected pieces of information from them.
I have had several where not only have (both) fathers gone along sign to give their permission, but also brothers, and uncles as well.
My advice is that if a copy of the application for the license exists, get a copy - it might not give you any more info, you never know - and every little clue is worth following up.
Not sure where this would be for Selby - nearest, or County, Record Office?
Information about Yorkshire archives here,
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/
 but it looks somewhat complicated!
It may take some phone calls to find out where the records might be, then they will send you a photocopy if it exists. Very cheap.
Happy Hunting!  ;)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Jayne, I think the parish registers are at the Borthwick Institute (i.e. York).  You could try to get the Bishop's Transcripts through your local LDS Family History centre.

Are you sure the couple married by licence?  Only the entry in the register will tell you whether it's by licence or banns.  There is an index of Yorkshire marriage licences, which is available in, for example, the East Riding archives.  As goldie61 says, a licence might have extra information, especially if one or both of the parties was underage, in which case it could be worth asking the Borthwick for a copy of the marriage allegation (they can send a scan).  I can check the index for you.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline Jayne Bentley Stidham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking a look at my post. Warkworth, if you could check the index for me that would be great. At this point I have no idea if they were underage so I'm stabbing in the dark at this point :-)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 10:23 GMT (UK) »
If John was born in 1804, he wouldn't have been a minor, though the bride might have been. I should have reread your first post, sorry! But it's still worth checking the index. Should be able to do so within the next few days.
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 December 14 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Jayne, I'm afraid there is no record of a marriage licence for this couple in the index. It'll have to be the parish register for any further details.  Sorry I couldn't help.
All the best
Joyce

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
John Bentley and Rebecca Morley were married by BANNS on 20 September 1827 at Selby - both signed the Register.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY