Author Topic: George and Maria DAVIS of Highley, Shropshire  (Read 4433 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and Maria DAVIS of Highley, Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 January 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Just hanging on to follow this thread as I am looking for a George Davis born about 1834 in Madely Wood, so information you gather here may be useful in my elimination process.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 January 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
So I have found a record of a marriage by banns in Leamington in Feb 1841. A Maria Walford married a William Jackson, sailor. They were living at 10 Oxford Street in Leamington. The bride's father was a William Walford, shoemaker. The grooms father's name is hard to make out, but I believe it is something like 'Manesses Jackson', farmer. They are still living in Leamington as of the 1841 census together with a Howard family. William Jackson was apparently born in Scotland.

I have not yet confirmed that this is indeed the same Maria as is in my family tree, but she seems a possible candidate. If anyone can help me work out if this is indeed the same woman, I'd be most grateful. :)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Bumping this thread as I'm looking for some help in narrowing down my current search.

So I know my 3x great-grandmother was born Maria Walford and was the daughter of William Walford, a shoemaker. She later married a Scot named William Jackson who I believe was a sailor (if my reading of the handwriting is correct). He must have died in the subsequent years as about five years later she married my 3x great-grandfather, George Davis in Highley.

Now in searching for Maria's birth, I've run across a bit of a conundrum. There is a Maria Walford, daughter of a William Walford born in Banbury in 1817. This Maria a) has the exact first name, b) is around the right birth year and c) Is very close to Leamington where she later lived and got married.

However, there is also a record in the Census of a William Walford, shoemaker who lived in Highley. He had a daughter called Mary in 1802. The birth year is a little older than I would have expected, but this would at least explain why Maria later travelled all the way to Highley and married George Davis (who was also born in Highley).

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can potentially narrow down which of these two Maria/Mary's is in fact my ancestor?

Many thanks.  :)