Author Topic: O'Toole family mystery  (Read 18110 times)

Offline FamilyTree13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Toole family mystery
« on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to track down the O'Toole family, who left County Wicklow in between 1901-1911. I'd really appreciate some help on any of the family, if anyone has any more information.

This is a bit of a mystery to me. Catherine and Charles O'Toole were born and married in Ireland, and they had at least 7 children. They can all be found living together as a family in the 1901 census, at 2, Kilmantin Hill, Wicklow.

But between 1901 and 1911 Charles seems to have vanished, the children have emigrated (I think some to the States and some to England), and Catherine is on her own in London. She ended up in charge of the laundry at St Pelagia's, 25-27 Bickerton Road, London. She completed the census form for St Pelagia's in 1911, and lists herself as "Sister in charge of the laundry". She also lists herself as single, rather than married or widowed. Does anyone know if a previously married woman could become a nun?

The home was run by the Sisters Servants of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. I've found some more information about it here: http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/stpelagia.html

This is the information I have on the O'Tooles:
- Catherine (M) O'Toole (maiden name unknown). b. 1869, County Wicklow, Ireland. Housekeeper in Wicklow Town in 1901. Running laundry of St. Pelagia's 1911.
- Charles O'Toole. b. 1866, County Wicklow, Ireland. Carpenter in Wicklow Town in 1901. 1911 ?? (haven't been able to find a death record for him either).

CHILDREN (all born in Wicklow, Ireland):
1. Brid/Bride O'Toole, b. 1887. She's the eldest child living with Catherine and Charles in 1901. 1911 - unknown, though she may emigrated to New York from Queenstown in 1904 (not clear).
2. Bartle O'Toole, b. 1891. Eldest son living at home in Wicklow Town in 1901. 1911 - unknown, possibly may have emigrated to US or Canada, although not sure if this is the right Bartle O'Toole.
3. Joseph O'Toole, b.1893. Living in Wicklow in 1901. 1911 ?
4. Ellen O'Toole, b.1896. Living in Wicklow in 1901. 1911 ?
5. John O'Toole, 1898-1966. Living in Wicklow in 1901. 1911 - unknown, although at some point he moved to the Stockton area of Durham. He married Mabel Florence Bowron in Stockton on 27th December 1919, and all his descendants are still in the Stockton / Teeside area. I would love to know when John came to England, and where he was in 1911!
6. Patrick O'Toole, b.1898. Living in Wicklow in 1901. 1911 ?
7. Owen O'Toole, b.1900. Living in Wicklow in 1901. 1911 ?

If the children survived the youngest boys would only have been 11 and 13 in 1911. I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find any records of them (including death records). It looks as though the family was very scattered, and I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of the mystery!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Toole family mystery
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:55 GMT (UK) »
They are in Rathdrum in 1911.

A possible marriage in Rathdrum in Dec qtr 1907 shows Charles Toole and Elizabeth Barry on the same page.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a Toole family in 1901 at the moment that would match the 1911 family - which is a good sign

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline FamilyTree13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for these - that's such an interesting find! I'm not sure how a Roman Catholic family at the turn of the century would have negotiated a separation and second marriage, but it would explain why Catherine went to London on her own. Presumably a divorce couldn't be granted?

Thanks also for finding the two youngest boys. I wonder when (and where) the older children went - presumably before Charles' marriage in 1907?

Offline FamilyTree13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
@avm22

Please could you share the possible marriage you'd found for Charles and Elizabeth?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
@avm22

Please could you share the possible marriage you'd found for Charles and Elizabeth?

Index details here:

Charles Toole: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYDK-CTT

Same for Elizabeth Barry: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYDL-3ZQ

I am afraid I have no experience of ordering Irish certificates so cannot help on that.