Author Topic: hurd, printer, of shaftesbury  (Read 1627 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
hurd, printer, of shaftesbury
« on: Tuesday 09 December 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Trying to finish a study of Ring Hurd...I can't find out when he moved from Wincanton, the place of his birth in 1781 to Shaftesbury.  Must've been when he was very young.  He was apprenticed in 1797 in Salisbury.

Whilst I'm at it, does anyone know if there's any significance in the alternative names for the town of 'Shaston' and 'Shaftesbury'?  I understood that the names were, at one time, interchangeable.  Hurd used them both on printings of his ballads.  As far as I've been able to make out he changed 'Shaston' to 'Shaftesbury' at a point somewhere around 1812-1813 (I'm happy to be corrected and enlightened).

roly brown
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: hurd, printer, of shaftesbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

DorsetOPC has a marriage in 1814 for a Ring Hurd and Patience Rogers at St Peter, Shaftesbury.

http://www.opcdorset.org/ShaftesburyFiles/St.Peter/ShastonStPMarr1623-1837.htm

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Yup.  Thanks.  Knew that.  I do have a considerable amount of info. about Hurd's marriage's) - but the question I asked was to do with one of the tantalising gaps.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
There has indeed been lots of work done previously on Ring Hurd on Rootschat.

Not sure you will get an answer - people tended not to leave a direct record of "when they moved"!

Did he have younger siblings? If so when did his parents stop christening children in Wincanton and start in Shaftsbury?
Or did he have siblings a lot older? If so did they marry in Wincanton, or Shaftesbury?
I cant remember all about his family, but it will be something like that that might help you narrow down when the family moved.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk