Author Topic: oxlade, printer, portsmouth  (Read 1895 times)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: oxlade, printer, portsmouth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Advert in the Northampton Mercury, 1770

This Day is published - Price 2s neatly bound in RED - A new Edition, with Additions, of THE BUCK'S DELIGHT; or Genius in high Glee. Being an entire new Collection of the most humorous SONGS, TOASTS and SENTIMENTS, now used by the several Societies of Choice-Spirits, Bucks, Masons, Antigallicans, Albions &c. With a greater Number of Originals than ever were inserted in any Collection before.To which is added, A correct List of Free-Mason's Lodges

London: Printed for W. Oxlade, at No 5, behind the Chapter House, St Paul's Church Yard; and sold by the Booksellers in Town and Country

A second edition, again with Additions, was printed 1780 for a "T Knowles, behind the Chapter House in St Paul's Church Yard" - and only 1s this time around!!. It included a similar preamble to Oxlade's edition plus
"containing also, The new SONGS, sung this last season at the Public Gardens and Theatres and all other ___* Places of Resort

* - illegible

By 1778 William Oxland's address had changed from "behind the Chapter House" ie.

"The Author. A Farce as it is acted at the THEATRES ROYAL in Drury Lane and Covent Garden, by Samuel Foote, 1778. Printed for and sold by W Oxlade at Shakespeare's Head, Middle Row, Holborn   

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 16 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Picking up on hints delivered via Rootschat - it seems that John Oxlade, attorney and bookseller, came to Portsea in 1812 after a daughter, Sarah, had died in Mitcham where he'd been resident for some years.  There were other children, born during the 1790s; but I can't work out who the mother was...I think, Ann...I have one reference to two 'marriages' (can't be sure).

Then comes his marriage to Mary Ann Terry in Portseatghere were other children, also born in London).

This leaves a period of 7 years during which time it can be clearly demonstrated that broadside ballads were issued from 174 Queen Street (as I've noted) and the name on them was either 'Oxlade' or 'W. Oxlade'.  The surmise is that John actually carried on his father's London business as printer in Portsea but without changing the name of the family firm.

So far, I can find no records of any Oxlade in Portsea during that time.  Was John Oxlade (for instance) sharing premises?

Can anyone fill in gaps?

JO's movements, incidentally, were paralleled by an ancestor of the actor Brian Blessed - Jabez, who moved from London, worked in Portsea as a printer during the wars with France, and then returned to London.  Did business in Portsea decline so drastically at the end of the wars?

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 February 16 10:36 GMT (UK) »
roly,
good to hear from you again

Hampshire Chronicle 25 Oct 1813
This day is published, price 6d (allowed to purchasers)
OXLADE'S CATALOGUE of about 3,000 volumes of second hand Books .... Catalogues at the place of sale 174, Queen St, Portsea

The same publication 15 Jun 1816 reported "Thomas Hoare aquitted of the theft of 16 books from William Oxlade".

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 February 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
As it happens, I'm burrowing away in the Hampshire Telegraph..   Hadn't got that far - so thanks.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.