Author Topic: Kilmovee Cemeteries County Mayo (Flatley)  (Read 10824 times)

Offline Karmnet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmovee Cemeteries County Mayo (Flatley)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 December 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Padraig,

I have looked and found on google earth the sites you gave me. I looked for the wall and the trees behind the headstone as per the photograph but none of them looked very hopeful.  I could of course be quite wrong?  According to the copy marriage certificate I have for my Gt. Grandfather Patrick Flatley - his father was Thomas Flatley who had already passed away at the time of Patrick's marriage to Mary Regan on the 31st October 1888, at the Church of the Immaculate Conception. Mary apparently came from Tavraun and her father Martin Regan was also deceased. I believe the gentleman in the photograph (kneeling down) was also named Thomas and a cousin or second cousin of my father.  Unfortunately my father is now in his 80's and his memory fails him at times, he cannot remember where the actual cemetery was.  In my search for Thomas I have found a copy of a census for 1851 which shows a Thomas Flatley living in Tavraun, maybe I am looking in the wrong place?  Patrick was living in Sinolaune in 1911 with his family.  His wife and family where living there in 1901 although Patrick does not appear on the paperwork.  I am coming to Ireland and I had hoped that by finding the headstone I would be able to find out more about my ancestors.  Thank you once again for your reply.  Kind Regards Karmnet

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 December 14 18:19 GMT (UK) »
If you google  Cois Tine Heritage  Centre Kilmovee Co Mayo. They have monthly meetings, there is a contact point on the site, there is also a Facebook page for them. If you post on the facebook page your photo of the grave include the inscription as it is hard to make out hopefully someone will recognise the cemetery. Say you are visiting the area and are looking for help.

One more thing the man you say Thomas Flatley died since 2000 was he living in Kilmovee area as if so mention this and someone will know him.

Good Luck

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 December 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »

I am inclined towards the St Celsus Old Churchyard http://bit.ly/1wZdD5d . I would suggest you establish contact with Fr. Vincent Sherlock, http://sherlockshome.ie/contact/. I have his email address but feel it inappropriate to pass on without his consent.

The Church of the Immaculate Conception is the principle church in the parish and the others act as satellites, and I feel any documentation will always have the principle church given as the place of baptism or marriage even if the event was in one of the smaller churches.

Tavraun like Sinolaun/Sonvolaun is west of the site Cloonamna School which on balance points to the Kilkelly area. My folks were east of the school and the next house on the road was in Sinolaun and only a few yards west of the school. They both drew water from the same well but attended different churches in the same parish.

I have seen a list of headstones at the more recent Culmore  cemetery (in use) and your Flatley family are not given, and may only be a partial list. The Naomh Mobhi cemetery dates from the mid 1940’s as I believe the Culmore (in use) cemetery also does. This only leaves St Celsus in Kilkelly and a remote chance of it being St Brigid's Cemetery. Urlaur Abbey, given that the Thomas you refer to died pre 1900.

I wouldn't be too distracted by the 1851 census Flatley was a common name in the Parish and he with the dancing feet fame, from Lord of the Dance and Riverdance can claim a common heritage to a Flatley family from Kilmovee also.

Offline Karmnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Owenwee,
Thank you for your help.  I have contacted the Cois Tine Heritage Centre and I have sent a copy of the photograph.  The photograph was taken by my aunt Mary who used to visit Ireland.  As far as I am aware the gentleman kneeling down was also called Thomas Flatley and I believe he lives or lived in Co Sligo.  I think he is a second cousin to my father.  The other gentleman standing is my uncle Thomas (it seems to be a popular family name).
Kind Regards and thank you once again.
Karmnet

Offline Karmnet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Padraig
Thank you once again for your input and help.  You are a mine of information.
I understand perfectly why you witheld Father Vincents' email address.  I will try to get in touch with him.  I have trawled the various lists of headstones that are available on the internet and to date have drawn a blank.  I am distantly related to dancing feet and happy that he has enjoyed success.
That said I am trying to go back in the family as far as I can.  I am working on both mine and my husband's ancestry and switch between the two as new information becomes available.  At the moment my focus is on my Flatley genepool.
Thank you once again for your input and help it is much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Karment.

Offline MJCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 September 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
I am just looking around and saw this post regarding Flatleys (no idea of year). There is some information them on the Kilmovee Parish registers. If you want to private message me on FB (via Mesenger) I will explain in more detail - Mike

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 September 19 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hello, Mike and welcome to RootsChat. If you make a couple more posts you will be able to use the private message facility on this site.
Karmnet hasn't posted on RootsChat since this thread.
I'm bookmarking this thread for my own interest.
Cowban

Offline MJCB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 September 19 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hello - There was a direct link with 'famous feet' family who lived in Sinolane, (Kilmovee Parish). In the distant past, there was a small link in my family tree, hence the casual interest. There was an article called 'Roots of a dancer - Irish Identity which explained it in some detail, if any are interested.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 September 19 01:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that article about Mick the Feet. I didn't know he was also a champion flute-player. Not to mention boxing.
Cowban