Author Topic: Father of William Sutherland born 1840 ?  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Schiehallion_1083

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Father of William Sutherland born 1840 ?
« on: Monday 08 December 14 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out if Donald Sutherland (shoemaker) aged 25 Years who, according to the Scottish Census 1841 lived at Lower Borgue, Berriedale, Caithness is the same person along with Margaret Bannerman who registered the the birth of my great grandfather William Sutherland who was born 17 August 1840 in the parish of Berridale as their natural son. Both parents were not married and lived in Balnabruich, Latheron. If he is the same person, he is my 2xgreat grandfather. It is easy to say he (Donald is my 2xgreat grandfather) but I can't prove it. My interest in this is, William's eldest child Margaret Bannerman Sutherland was my grandmother. My grandmother had five sisters and one brother. If anyone can help me solve this problem I would be most grateful.

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Father of William Sutherland born 1840 ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 December 14 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi there. I have a Donald Sutherland, born c1816, grocer and master shoemaker, married to Emelia Dunnet. I don't have an 1841 census record for them, but the children I'm aware of were James (b1841), Neil (b1842), Adam (b c1848), Emelia (b c1852) and Donaldina (b1856). Since I haven't seen the 1841 census record for this family, I don't know if there is a William, but it is certainly a family name of mine. Donald (b c1816) died a widower in Knockally, Dunbeath, in 1883. If any of this is striking a chord, I'd love to hear from you.
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 09:02 GMT (UK) »
This may be the 1841 ostler;

1841 Census
Melton, Latheron, Caithness
Latheron/11/14/880/1841
Donald SUTHERLAND, 25, Shoemaker
Emily Sutherland, 25

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Just posting this so others may be able to help;

1841 Census
Alexr Bannerman    45
Elizabeth Bannerman    50
Margaret Bannerman    32
Jannet Bannerman    11
William Bannerman    10 Month***

1851 Census
Balnabruich, Latheron
Margaret Bannerman, 46, Head, Pauper Farmerly House Servant
Janet Grant, 20, Daug, Hering Net Worker
William Sutherland, 10, Son, Scholar
Janet Bannerman, 42, Sister, Pauper Fermerly Domesh Sevt

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Caithness-shire
Latheron
Church of Scotland   
Date Of Birth   17 Aug 1840
Baptism Date   02 Apr 1841
William
Sex   M
Father Forename   ,Donald
Mother Forename, Margaret
Father Surname   SUTHERLAND
Mother Surname   BANNERMAN
Abode Balnabruich
Father Occupation   
Notes A natural son
(FreeREG)

Janet GRANT Christened 10 March 1830, Halkirk, Caithness
Parents Andrew GRANT/Margaret BANNERMAN
(F/S.Org)

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 January 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where you are based, but it might also be worth a check of the Latheron Kirk Session minutes to see if there is any mention of Margaret and Donald being called to account for their behaviour. The minutes might give an abode for both parties as well as other details if you are fortunate. Kirk Session minutes are available in Edinburgh (National Records of Scotland) and other local archives which have access to the minutes  - see http://www.nas.gov.uk/about/101101.asp for list. Access is free in all those places.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello ostler. Many thanks for replying to me regarding my 2xgreat grandfather. I appreciate it very much. Firstly, I would like to apologise for not replying to you sooner. The reason being, I thought roots chat would have contacted me whenever someone replied. My great grandfather William Sutherland's mother Margaret Bannerman was the 4th child of Donald and Elizabeth Bannerman. Margaret was born on 26th August 1803 in Loth, in the county of Sutherland. It is stated in OPR 37/2 Halkirk that she had a daughter Janet by Andrew Grant. The Kirk Session minutes for Halkirk records Margaret's transgression. I have the census for 1841 Census Registration District 38 Enumeration District 12 Page 6 Knockally, Berriedale where she and her two children are mentioned along two of her relations.

She also appears in the 1851 Census Scotland where her daughter Janet is aged 20 years and her son William Sutherland (my great grandfather) aged 10 years. It is also recorded in OPR Parish Ref No: 038-00 "Sutherland - William, natural son of Donald Sutherland and Margaret Bannerman both in Balnabruich was born on the 17th August 1840 and baptised on the 2nd April 1841".
There was no mention of Donald and Margaret in the Latheron Kirk Session Minutes.
There was an extract which stated :
Piece: SCT1841/38 Place: Latheron-Caithness Enumeration District: 13 Civil Parish: Latheron Eccllesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Berriedale Folio: 0 Page: 9
Address: Lower Borgue.

Surname          First Name(s)    Sex      Age        Occupation         Where     
Born

Gunn            Charlotte             F          50          Crofter              Caithness

Sutherland    Donald                M          25          Shoemaker        Caithness

Armstrong    Janet                   F          25                                  Caithness

It is recorded on my great grandfather William Sutherland's death certificate that his father was a shoemaker. It is possible that this is the Donald Sutherland that was the father of my great grandfather. However, it really would be supposition to make this Donald the father of my great grandfather. As for Donald being my 2xgreat grandfather I am in the dark and could draw many conclusions but without actual proof it would be just that, conclusions.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 15 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello trish. Thank you very much for posting the the census forms for me. It was very kind of you and I appreciate it very much. I must tell you that I already have them. By the way, that's a bonnie wee baby you are holding in your photo. Good health to it.