Author Topic: COMPLETED - Where is/was Louchurch/Leuchurch/Lewchurch?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Where is/was Louchurch/Leuchurch/Lewchurch?
« on: Wednesday 10 December 14 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Wondering if anyone can help please.  I'm trying to help a friend with her mother in law's research and we're stuck trying to find the baptism for a George Rees born c1784 in the county.  On the 1851 to 1871 Census his birthplace is variously listed as Louchurch or Leuchurch or Lewchurch.  I know there is Ludford but I can't find a George Rees there in the non-conformist or Church of Wales records.

There are two George Rees baptisms in Steynton/Stainton in 1785 to different parents. One of them definitely appears on the census but the burial records for the parish are missing from FindMyPast as I've access and had a look.

He married as a widower in Bosherston in 1813 and was listed as being resident in Angle.  He remained in Angle until his death in 1879.  There is an earlier marriage of a George Rees to a Margaret Williams in 1810 where the groom is listed as being of Stainton, but with the missing burials I don't know if she died before 1813 in Steynton, or either died there subsequently, although there is no sign of any children to them.

Does anyone know if Louchurch/Leuchurch/Lewchurch was a hamlet in or near Steynton please?

Any help appreciated.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is/was Louchurch/Leuchurch/Lewchurch?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nicola

There is a place called Ludchurch but that's near Narberth.I have  not heard of the other places.

From what I know the Non Conformist records are kept in London.

Kind regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks omega1 there isn't a baptism in the parish of Ludchurch and nothing in the non-conformist registers which are viewable on both ancestry and FindMyPast. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not yet quite sure where it is,but there are a couiple of references to "Lowchurch" in these West Wales records,perhaps near Lampeter Velfrey(?)

https://archive.org/stream/westwaleshistori04hist/westwaleshistori04hist_djvu.txt

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Here is another relatively contemporary reference

http://isys.llgc.org.uk/isysquery/irl5b13/2/doc#hit2

The Welshfurze referred to may be that at Princes Gate,Narberth.This puts this Lowchurch,if relevant,in generally the same area as the previous reference.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Thios may be a leap too far,but the marriage referred to in my first post was registered in St Peter
Camarthen.
There is also this marriage bond at St Peter for George Rees to Elizabeth Williams,minor,in 1814(George would be approx. 29 if this was him).It is the third "hit" here

http://isys.llgc.org.uk/isysquery/irl5bcb/4/doc#hit3

Regards
Roger

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roger but the George I'm researching was married to a Margaret, that marriage was in Angle as per my original post and he stayed there until his death in 1879.  The problem is the missing burials for Steynton on FindMyPast, there are two George Rees baptised the same year to different parents.  One of them is in Pembroke itself on the Census, the other could possibly be the George in Angle if there is any evidence of a possible place of that name in the area.  Unfortunately I suspect that it may only be resolved if the burials do finally appear online, unless the person I'm helping manages to get to Pembroke Archives at some point.  I can find no baptism for a George Rees in the Narberth area at the right time anyway, so I think it's probably a red herring.  Its not that unusual a name. :-\

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Just been having a little play on the census search on ancestry minus any surnames/first names but putting in Leuchurch and Lewchurch in the keyword search.  Brought up a few so have been trying to cross check against online parish records, not with a great deal of success but one of the 1911 entries has a birthplace listed as Lewchurch near Narberth.  An entry on an earlier census had Lewchurch Narberth, which does tend to suggest that it is a place near Narberth.  Now unfortunately FindMyPast do not have many baptisms online for the parish for the time I'm looking so may not get any further but I think the little mystery has probably been solved. :D