Author Topic: Kathleen Craig Smyth- Paisley  (Read 7887 times)

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kathleen Craig Smyth- Paisley
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 December 14 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure the Poor House was in Craw Road so not sure why there was an RCE for that?

I see you mentioned Ayre (sic)?  Could the Drusen be Drongan which I believe is in Ayrshire?  If she was orphaned, I'm wondering whether she ended up at Quarrier's Homes as I think some children went to Canada from the Homes but I may be wrong?

Caroline

PS Did you also mean that she was at Camphill High School and then attended Paisley Grammar?  I'm wondering whether the records of the School may actually be at the School or at the Reference Section of Paisley Central Library?  The School may be able to help.
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline CarTurn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 December 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Monica- I have contacted a few people to see about the school records.  (Central Library and the Old Grammarians website) I'm not sure of the timing, I had just scribbled, "Camp Hill High 12-14" then underneath I wrote, "Grammar School".

She married and died in Canada and the records are locked up for 100 years. I might be able to apply for death certificate from the government here as a relative.  I'll look into that. She didn't have a birth certificate and she swore an affidavit her to get her first passport. (it was a little more lax back then I suppose)  I will try those areas though- thanks for the suggestions.

Don- thank you, I have send a PM (I had to look up what a PM was) to you with my email address.  What is an RCE?

Caroleineasb- I have been trying the Quarrier's angle as well, but haven't had any success with that yet.  It would make sense because if they were dirt poor how else would she have gotten the money to go abroad?  I remember her saying that she travelled with a lot of young girls who were all together and when they got to Toronto they all had a place to go so suddenly she was all alone at the train station. 

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 December 14 14:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.glenifferhigh.renfrewshire.sch.uk/ka.html

Above is a link to info on Camphill School, Paisley

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 December 14 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

RCE is the "Register of Corrected Entries".  If a birth, marriage or death entry in the Register has to be amended for some reason (not clerical which usually is shown as an annotation at the side of the entry) then there is another Register with the amendments and the original entry will have a stamp on it stating that there is an RCE.  This can happen say on a death certificate where the cause of death is thought of as one thing but at a later date it is realised that it is something else, perhaps after a Fatal Accident Inquiry.  In fact, I personally have only seen them on death certificates.

Pity she didn't die in British Columbia in Canada as I managed to find a runaway Great Uncle (using a different surname) on the  records that are online for there but I know that other areas do not allow this :(.  I even got his Obituary from the Library and the details given confirmed that he was definitely the man I was looking for!

I happen to know someone who I think can check up Quarrier's records but I am unsure whether he is on this Forum or not.  I will find out and post back.

Caroline
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline CarTurn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 December 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I just found this and thought you might find it interesting.  Perhaps this explains the RCE.

In 1904, in an effort to remove the stigma of having being born in a workhouse, the Registrar General instructed local registrars that birth certificates of such children should carry no indication of this. As a result, such births were then registered with a (sometimes fictitious) street address. For example, births in the Liverpool Workhouse were recorded as having taken place at 144A Brownlow Hill — no such address actually existed.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/education/

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 December 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

SP has a death for an Elizabeth Smith(other surname Craig) 1917 Paisley , Renfrew , born c1875.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 December 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the 1917 death and I am not convinced this is her for a couple of reasons.

On Catherine's birth registration she "declares" she was married to William Smith a laborer and that they had been living apart for three years.  In the 1917 death it states her husband was James Smith a shoemaker who was also the informant.  It will take some digging to sort this one out.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 December 14 00:20 GMT (UK) »
As regards the RCE. My granny born in 1902 (illegit) had hers changed in 1976. Her parents married about 6 weeks after she was born.

In terms of the school records Paisley Central Library which has an excellent FHS section is where the Camphill records will be if they exist. the original school was demolished in the early 1970s and replaced by Castlehead High. A new Camphill High was opened in Foxbar Paisley - these days known as Gleniffer High.

It is unlikely she attended Paisley Grammar from the posts below unless she was on a scholarship or had bequest or someone being benefactor paying as the Grammar school was fee paying. (I'm a former pupil from 1970s - partially non fee paying - more elightened times when I went there)

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 December 14 00:24 GMT (UK) »
There is no Kathleen Craig Smyth/Smith born on the date you state in Paisley or anywhere in Scotland but there is a Catherine Craig Smith born on the 15 AUG 1903 in Paisley. 

The registration states she was born in the Poorhouse but an RCE amends this to 15 Craw Road (north of the Royal Alexandra).  Mother was Elizabeth Craig or Smith.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you the documents.

Don

The Poorhouse was in Craw Road. Gone now - new houses built on the site

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-