Author Topic: Woodston in the Parish of St Cyrus  (Read 6458 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Woodston in the Parish of St Cyrus
« on: Thursday 11 December 14 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Back in the Mearns at last...trying to piece together any tiny bits of information to work out the background of my William Jolly whose son has been much discussed here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=663576.0

David Jolly was born 1811 at Woodston to William Jolly and Catherine Sherret.  I read that Woodston was a salmon fishing station but I'm now pretty sure there's another Woodston as on the 1841 census there's a farm and a bothy listed at that address.

You can see in the clip that another child is born at Woodston that same year an Anne Pattullo. My cunning plan was to follow the Pattullos and see if they could provide any clues but alas in 1841 there would appear to be no Pattullos at all in Kincardineshire. On Freecen for 1851 I found an Alexa Patullo, unmarried, aged 30 born St Cyrus but she's working as a lady's maid at Ormiston Hall in East Lothian. So much for cunning plans...So still trying to work out which Woodston.
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Woodston in the Parish of St Cyrus
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Hope you're still a member.  Just came across your original post today and the placename of Woodston jumped out at me as I have a connection to Nether Woodston (possibly an adjacent farm?)

John Duncan was born at Nether Woodston, St Cyrus in 1822.  He is my 1st cousin 5x removed and the son of John Duncan and Ann Burn(s).  I haven't got much on John as I haven't researched that line yet.  What I do know is that he was born as I say in 1822 at Nether Woodston, lived in St Cyrus for a while, Aberdeen, showing up at Nelson Street in the 1891 census (by that time, another family related to mine was farming Nether Woodston (or not, as it is shown in the Ancestry transcription as Nether Warburton) - John Kinnear (born Garvock in 1848) and his mother, Ann Robbie (born Edzell c1808) and his sister, Ann Lindsay Kinnear (born Garvock 1845).  I'm not sure if the two families are connected other than both having been on the farm 70-odd years apart.

The names of Sherret and Patullo are familiar to me as I too have come across them, but alas they are not (I think) related to me, however I do have some Sherrets in Benholm and Johnshaven (namely Margaret, born Benholm in 1816, who married my 3x Great-Grand Uncle, Thomas Watt at Benholm in 1842), which I believe is the next parish along the coast, so there may be a connection a few more generations back, but I'm not going to be actively researching her unless there is a link further back that Watt line to the Sherrets.  One of my cousins is related to the Sherrets on both sides of his tree, but not sure whether they are your St. Cyrus ones or not (PM me if you are interested in getting in touch with him and I can contact him to give him your email adress).
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,
     Nether Woodston, Woodston Fishery, Mill of Woodston & Woodston Burn all showing on this National Library of Scotland (nls) OS Six Inch, 1888-1913 Map:
         http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.7779&lon=-2.4040&layers=6
     Perhaps, if there's not a South, East or West Woodston, then Nether Woodston was known simply as Woodston.
     On the left of screen, in 1.Select a category: choose Scotland from the Drop down Box. 2.Select a map/map series:gives a choice of maps in the Drop down Box.
     Move map around, zoom in/out, slide the Blue Dot to the left of the screen for an up-to-date satellite over-view or click on Blue Side by Side at the top of the screen to make comparing then and now easier. 
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
     Missed this earlier, but directly north of Nether Woodston & Greystone Cottage, still in St Cyrus Parish, is a place named Woodstone Mains with Woodstone Hill just north of that.
     On the OS Six Inch, 1843-1882 Map it is named simply Woodstone. Looks like a house in laid out grounds and a fairly large farm.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=56.7861&lon=-2.4111&layers=5
     There's a long, narrow building by the roadside just south of the farm.
     This OS 25 Inch, 1892-1905 Map, zoomed in on that area, shows what appears to be a row of 3 cottages and a separate house, possibly the farm grieve/foreman's house.
          http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=56.7860&lon=-2.4103&layers=168
     I wonder if this is the Woodston referred to? There would certainly be several families living there.
     What is said about the No.3 bus? Nothing for an hour then two come at once? That applies to Genealogy too!! Have fun.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dod.

Kay
Gordon, Carter, Lunie, Young, Pirie, Duncan,  Belgrie, Croll, Watt, Ferguson, Peat, Brand, Smith, Wallace, Middleton, Miller, Bell, Mollison, Gauld/Gault/Gall, Clerk/Clark, Anderson,  Grassick, Robertson, Niper, Kerr, Kinnear, Edwards, Low, Stewart, M(a)cDonald, Lamb, Petrie, Cowlie, Muckart, Tweedale, Davidson(e), M(a)cLeod, Stephen, Grassie, Mitchell, Whyte, M(a)cLean, Carnegie, Will, Robert, Fairweather, Hill, Reid, Steel, Jackson, Page, Murfitt, Bass,

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dod and Kay,

Those maps are great you can even see the wee bend in the road when you put them side by side and the field bounderies look to be the same after all this time. Must admit I've given very little thought to my Jollys for ages as I've run out of ideas on how to progress with William Jolly.

Dod, I'm sure that Woodstone farm is the correct place for David's birth as I've not found anything to suggest the Patullos were anything other than farmers. I'm pretty sure I can rule out David being born at the fishing station so that probably puts his father in the agricultural labourer category.

All big 'ifs' but if I've got the correct Katherine Sherret then maybe David got his intro to the sea via her second husband Robert Ritchie (whitefisher) rather than from a Jolly connection.

Many thanks for taking the time to post it a good reminder I need to get back to this branch and start writing!
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 April 16 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

This may give you a flavour of the area, and map and street view are interesting.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40120503.html

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline Gnlgymd100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 13:28 BST (UK) »
Just looked at your link, Valerie.  What a beautiful home.  I wonder what our ancestors who lived in the area would make of the changes  ;D

Kay