Author Topic: who was Thomas Moore's wife?  (Read 3984 times)

Offline AussieSearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
who was Thomas Moore's wife?
« on: Thursday 11 December 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'd really appreciate some suggestions about where to go next to try and find out the wife of Thomas Moore (tree below).

I have posted before about my Moore ancestors who came from Co. Tyrone and how I had finally found that they were from Ardstraw. I was in Ireland last month so went to PRONI to do some research. Initially I was disappointed as all the church records from the time of birth were pretty much faded and illegible. However, the staff at PRONI were fabulous and showed me the Griffiths evaluations and wills on their web page and advised that Moores in Ardstraw (and neigbouring townlands) are likely to be related to mine who migrated to Australia (and said they came from Ardstraw). I also hired a car and visited Ardstraw and looked in the cemetry (much of the graves were on-line anyway but it was nice to visit).

Using the 1901/11 census as well I now have a pretty good picture of the Moore's in the area and suspect that it could indeed be my family.... but to proove it! What I would like to find out is the wife of the Thomas Moore a Jane Bell - if it is then it prooves that my Thomas who migrated to Australia is another son.

Any clues? I got the death certificate for William Moore his son, but it doesn't have any information about his parents or his children. What documents would have 'Jane Moore' - if that is who the wife was - as wife of thomas or mother of the children?

The Ardstraw Moores

1. Thomas Moore. Farmed land in milltown and Urbalreagh. According to his will he died 27/10/1875 and 3 sons John, William and Robert inherited land. Who was his wife??????

2. John Moore. Headstone in Ardstraw cemetery indicates he was born 1828 and died 19-2-1908 aged 80. Married Isabella Caldwell. farmed land in Milltown. Present in 1901 census as a widower aged 69 (putting YOB as 1832)

3. Archibald Moore. died 8/1/1934, married to kathleen Lyons. farmed land in Milltown. in 1901 (married aged 30 YOB 1871) and 1911 (married aged 40 YOB 1871) census and states married 11 years with no children. A will lists him also as an actioneer with his property passing to Samuel Thomas Moore (his cousin from his Uncle Robert) with money to his wife and another 'married women' Annie Edith Jones.

3. Isobella Moore. In 1901 (single aged 26 YOB 1875) and 1911 (single aged 41 YOB 1870) census living in milltown

2. Robert Moore. Headstone in Ardstraw cemetry indicates that he was born 1828 and died 8/8/1899 (but has been re-done the year) aged 71. married Catherine. Farmed land at Milltown and Urbalreagh. Is present in the 1901 census aged 50 (yob 1851!!)!! which places year of death in doubt! and probably has him born later. 1911 census for his wife catherine indicated that they were married 34 yrs and had 3 kids all still alive.

3. Samuel Thomas Moore. Farmed land in Urbalreagh. In 1901 census (single aged 25 YOB 1877) and 1911 (single aged 33 YOB 1878)

3. William Charles Moore. Buried with parents (so never married with kids?). died 30/8/1965 aged 68 YOB 1879. Farmed land in Urbalreagh. In 1901 census (single aged 20 YOB 1881) and 1911 (single aged 31 YOB 1880)

3. Margaret Jane Moore. Buried with parents (so never married with kids?). died 20/4/1965 aged 81 YOB 1884. In 1901 census (single aged 16 YOB 1885) and 1911 (single aged 27 YOB 1884)

2. William Moore. Headston in Ardstraw cemetrt indicates born 1830 and died 28/8/1920 aged 90. married to Mary. Farmed land at Urbalreagh. Present in the 1901 (aged 65 YOB 1836) and 1911 census (aged 78 YOB 1833). The 1911 census inducates that he had been married for 52 yrs (m. 1859) and had 12 kids, 10 still living (6 of which i have below).

3. William Moore of Carnkenny. i think this is the son of William but can't be completely sure. grave has died 20/5/1940 aged 78 yob 1862. Wife is elizabeth. in 1901 cenus married aged 38 yob 1863 and in 1911 married aged 49 yob 1862 - married 18 yrs (m.1893) with 8 children all alive.

3. Thomas Moore. died 8/10/1934 and buried with parents. Farmed land in Urbalreagh. In 1901 cenus is single aged 31 yob 1870 and in 1911 single aged 40 yob 1871. his will has Reverend Matthew moore inheriting - this is a son of the above William of Carnkenny, so a nephew I think.

3. John Moore. died 5/1/1931 and buried with parents. Farmed land in urbalreagh. In 1901  he is single aged 25 yob 1876. his will passes everything to his widow Mary.

3. Bella moore. In 1901 cenus aged 23 yob 1878 single. I think she married a Mr Patrick but have not followed this up.

3. Maggie moore. in 1901 cenus aged 18 yob 1883 single.

3. Rebecca Moore. In 1901 census aged 12 yob 1889 single and in 1911, single aged 22 yob 1889.

Cheers

Kirsty

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: who was Thomas Moore's wife?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
this site might beable to help you

http://www.ardstrawpresbyterian.org/home.php

Offline AussieSearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 December 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks rathmore, I had a look at the site but can't really see anything from the time period I am looking for - it all seems to be about the modern functioning of the church. Is there a area of the site i should be looking closer at?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you been in contact with this site?

Ardstrawpresbyterian

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
If you go on the site then click on Photo Gallery there is a Moore mentioned.

Offline AussieSearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 14 13:04 GMT (UK) »
thanks, i see it now, the name caldwell moore is also interesting as I know a Caldwell married a moore.

I am thinking of writing to some Moore's that are still in the area to see if they link into the family in the area and if they do are they able to provide more information.

Offline RichardinMichigan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsty,

My great great grandfather John Cochran married Eliza Jane Ray (1836-1916) in Indiana County, Pennsylvania.  Eliza was the daughter of Matthew Rea (Ray) (1805-1887) and granddaughter of John Rea (1781-1865) and his wife Mary Moore (1785-1855).  John and Mary have long been known to have come from County Tyrone where their first five (of 10) children were born prior to their immigration to America in 1818.  Their youngest son was William Moore Ray.

Like you, after 50 years of searching for the Rea's of County Tyrone I had just about given up -- but earlier this year I made an astounding discovery through a y-chromosome DNA test (genetic distance =1 @ 111 markers) that linked our family to another Rea family that only briefly touched down in Indiana County, Pennsylvania before moving off to the Midwest in the 1820's.  That family preserved the origin of the family -- Ardstraw parish -- and I have been able to stitch together a cluster of likely Rea relatives in a three-townland area in that parish that stretch down to the 1860's (see attached map).  You'll notice that Carnkenny borders Milltown, and I believe Carnkenny was the home of John and Mary (Moore) Rea before they departed for America. 

We've been successful with y-chromosome testing which only works with tracing paternal lines back and forth, but a few autosomal DNA matches convince me we are also related to the Jack family of Ardstraw.  So far I haven't zeroed in on any related Moore family for want of an exact Ardstraw point of origin.  Perhaps this might be an avenue for you to make some forward progress!

Good luck in 2017 and Merry Christmas!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan 

copyright map image removed