Author Topic: Elizabeth Corbett from Cromrtymmarried William MacKay 1638  (Read 2717 times)

Offline sceahlott

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Corbett from Cromrtymmarried William MacKay 1638
« on: Friday 12 December 14 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone have information on the following family.  Elizabeth Corbett b 1610 Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, father was Alexander Corbett.  Elizabeth married William mackay in caithness.  their son was cpt Hugh Mackay b1662.  the source of this information is ancestry and it would be great if I can find anything else about them from other sources - parish records, census etc.
many thanks
Leah

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Corbett from Cromrtymmarried William MacKay 1638
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 06:04 GMT (UK) »
I would be very suspicious of this. It seems to claim that Elizabeth was 52 when her son was born. there was no census for these areas until 1841. Again, at this early period the availability of church records is limited. You could check the on-line catalogue of the National records of Scotland to see if any Church records survive for the area then.

If there is any truth behind what you have found, it must come from private family papers or from the Register of Sasines, Register of Deeds, Register of the Great Seal etc. But the age of Elizabeth in 1662 makes me very doubtful.