Author Topic: Michael DWYER and his sister?, Tasmania, 1828?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Michael DWYER and his sister?, Tasmania, 1828?
« on: Friday 12 December 14 04:51 GMT (UK) »
A recent publication has this statement:

Michael DWYER migrated to Tasmania with his sister in 1828, but returned to Ireland where he married in 1836 or 1837 and emigrated to Victoria in 1841 with his wife Ellen (Ellenore) and 3 children.  There is no reference for the source of this statement although it has been part of the family's oral history.

I have good information about Michael, Ellen and their children from the 1850s when they moved from Melbourne where he was a carter.  It is this Tasmanian connection that I would like to find.

Michael was born in Tipperary 1802 and married Ellen McCARTHY in Greenane, Tipperary. His death certificate is not helpful giving just "Tipperary, Ireland" as his birthplace and stating that he had been in Victoria for 42 years which fits with the immigration in 1841 (died 1884) but there is no mention of an earlier visit to Australia.

His parents are given as John DWYER, farmer and Mary nee RYAN.  I do not believe they ever came to Australia.

There is a convict Michael DWYER of about the same age tried in Tipperary and transported in 1828.  However it seems that this man stayed in NSW and two convict records state that he died in Goulburn in 1838 so he's not my ancestor.

I have not been able to find any reference on the Tasmanian LINC site, nor on TROVE.  I am not familiar with Tasmanian records so perhaps I haven't looked properly.

I know nothing about the sister at except that family lore says that she did some kind of 'good work' while in Tasmania - teaching or working with the poor or something of that nature  :-\  I know nothing at all about his parents (just their names as given on the death certificate) or other siblings.  There has never been any suggestion that any others of his immediate family emigrated.

Any clues would be gratefully received. 

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael DWYER and his sister?, Tasmania, 1828?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 14 05:35 GMT (UK) »
DWYER Michael
Arrival 22 Oct 1841
Port Phillip District (Victoria)
Ship LYSANDER
Port Phillip Pioneers Group ancestral claims.

I'll pm the contact details for the above.

DWYER Michael
Directory 1847
Victoria
The Port Phillip almanac and directory for 1847.
Author/compiler Mouritz, J J.

No way of identifying if these entries are your Michael.

Cando  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 December 14 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, cando.

I've seen the Lysander arrival listed on PROV and also on NSW immigration records, but, as always, the more information the better.  I think it's him in the 1856 ER in Little Lonsdale St, occupation listed as 'carter', eligibility to vote through 'freehold'.  Wish he'd hung on to that  ;D  Too many with the same name  :(  The family lore is that they were in no way penniless immigrants.

I have always admired them immensely for coming to an unknown land, which was only settled 6 years before, across the other side of the world with three small children.  I would have thought just getting from Ireland to Plymouth would have been adventure enough.  However, it makes a little more sense if he had been to Australia before.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 14 05:58 GMT (UK) »

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 December 14 06:04 GMT (UK) »

I think it's him in the 1856 ER in Little Lonsdale St, occupation listed as 'carter', eligibility to vote through 'freehold'.  Wish he'd hung on to that  ;D 

One of my ancestors owned property in "Swanston-street, adjacent to the river and new bridge".  ?Federation Square :P :P.   Probably rented not owned. ::) ::)

Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 December 14 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh my, what rich people we would be now.................................. :'(

He listed his occupation on the immigration papers as 'labourer' so that may well be him.  Thanks  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Just bumping this up in hopes that someone may be able to find a reference to his supposed visit to Tasmania, with a sister.  :-\

Judith

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 18 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You mention you have elimiated a convict transported to NSW in 1828 and likely died in 1838, Goulburn.   Would that be the Michael DWYER who arrived per the Phoenix in 1828?  If so,  I think his Certificate of Freedom was issued in 1834, and ref #1023  (16 August 1834), a carpenter.   I had wondered if he was the one who died at Goulburn and I had also wondered if he was the one who was father to the baby girl baptised CofE at Lake Macquarie in 1831 ... her father was shown as Michael Dwyer, a carpenter.   Baptism is in the Christ Church Cathedral's digitised images  :) and of course,  I look out my windows here at Nords Wharf to ... Lake Macquarie...

So many Michael Dwyer chaps ...  ::)

I have put your chap on my horizon  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Well,  I should have checked  ;D before posting ...

The chap at Goulburn was Roman Catholic, single, tried Tipperary 18 August 1827 housebreaking, life sentence, a coachman.  Arrived per Borodino.  Died at the hospital, Goulburn 12 June 1838.

https://www.bda-online.org.au/ - an excellent not for profit online organisation, nominal annual fee and regularly uploading.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.