Author Topic: The Children of James Gilbert  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of James Gilbert
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on Alice GILBERT in the light of the 1939 release, which gives her DOB as 10 Mar 1876. If correct this rather narrows down the search for her birth to the first two quarters of 1876.

It seems to confirm that she must have been illegitimate, as we know for sure that her "father" died in December 1873.

So I suppose we are looking for an Alice born in Q1 or Q2 of 1876, presumably in the Edmonton area. I presume this, as (a) her mother would not have been able to travel very far for the birth, given her other family responsibilities, and (b) that Alice seems to have spent her entire life in the Edmonton area.

Does the fact that I now have the DOB make it any easier to narrow down the search for a birth certificate or baptism record?

This long and unsuccessful search is still bugging me. I really would like to find some record of her birth.

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Children of James Gilbert
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Despite having a date for her birth courtesy of the 1939 register, I still having been able to find a record of her birth.

I stated in my previous post that we knew for sure that her father died in 1873. I'm still confident that this is true, however I have recently found a record for another James Gilbert who died in Edmonton in 1875. This one seems to have been much older, the records suggesting he was born in 1804.

I am now thinking that there must be some family link between the two James Gilberts, which may or may not help me find a record of birth for Alice.

I don't think that this is James' father, who was also called James Gilbert. According to my records James Gilbert (senior) was born in Bermondsey in 1797, married in Kensington in 1818, and died in Southwark in 1845.

Suggestions as to the nature of the relationship are welcomed, as would any further ideas on Alice's birth.