Author Topic: Donald (weaver) MacMaster to Pictou Nova Scotia 1801  (Read 2498 times)

Offline MacMaster (Weaver)

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald (weaver) MacMaster to Pictou Nova Scotia 1801
« on: Saturday 13 December 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for help in finding a connection to Donald in Scotland. He and his family left Ft. William in 1801 bound for Nova scotia. He was an established weaver before leaving Scotland and continued his trade in Nova scotia. His wife was a Catharine MacEachern. Donald was born about 1765 and they had 3 children  before leaving in 1801. They also left with Donald's 1st cousin John who was unmarried. on the land grants in Nova Scotia John named his land Locharber and Donald named his land Morne/Mourne. Can anyone tell me of this place Morne as this is a link to where Donald came from I do believe, but I have not been able to find a reference to any such place. Any help would be great I have a lot of information on this family in Canada and I would like to make the connection to some one in Scotland and to work together on getting the pieces to fit.

Thank you in advance

David MacMaster

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donald (weaver) MacMaster to Pictou Nova Scotia 1801
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Lochaber was, and still is, the general geographic area around Fort William.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochaber

Can’t help with Morne/Mourne. Don’t know anywhere of that name in Scotland. (There are the Mourne mountains in Co. Down but that’s 150 miles south of Lochaber). Possibly it was a local farm name and so doesn’t otherwise show up in maps etc.
Elwyn

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donald (weaver) MacMaster to Pictou Nova Scotia 1801
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
David, I can only think this might be the parish of Morven (Morvern) south of Loch Sunart and across Loch Linnhe from Fort William.

Bests,

Skoosh.