Author Topic: Who lived in my house  (Read 5891 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Who lived in my house
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

First of all do you have actual Deeds or an "Abstract of Title", if deeds what is the earliest date
you have and what names are included in this Indenture?

Think you need to contact Derbyshire Record Office, Matlock and ask if they have a Tithe Map
for Ripley/Hammersmith  these are dated abt 1844 and is when the Church commuted Tithes
into cash payments.  Each Map is accompanied by a Book giving details of owner, who lived there
etc.

You need to find your property or land on this map, it will have an individual number which you
then look up in the Tithe Appointment Book.

If your property is in existence C 1844, you will then have an occupiers name to look for in either
1841 or 1851 Census. 

Prior to Tithe Map there are Enclosure Maps again you need to ask Matlock what they hold.
Thing to remember when looking at either maps the numbers on the maps are NOT ordinance
Survey Numbers.  They only relate to Tithe or Enclosure and will only appear on those maps.

Some deeds refer to these numbers.

So again what is the earliest Indenture you have and who was buying and who was selling?

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline chrisrsmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 February 17 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The famous, and accurate 'Sandersons' map of 1835 does not show the house, although it does show the 'Poker Row' terrace and the semi-detached houses on 'Hammersmith' itself with their gardens bordering the brook.

Offline chrisrsmorriss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 17 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I see that there is a meeting of the Pentrich historical society, on the 27th of Feb (I think), in Pentrich Village Hall, which is just up the road.  The subject is a talk on Benjamin Outram, who was one of the people who started up 'The Butterley Company'.  As most of the Hammersmith houses were for employees of this company, perhaps someone at the meeting may be able to help.

Sadly the records of the Butterley Company seem to have disappeared since the company collapsed a few years ago, though I gather that they were not very good at recording things, which is a great shame considering the wealth of industrial history and archaeology that used to be in this area. (Although the building of the A38 and A610 bypass in the mid 1970s destroyed much of value.)