Author Topic: lodge on the mold denbigh road ??  (Read 5388 times)

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
lodge on the mold denbigh road ??
« on: Monday 15 December 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
hello all..can anyone advise me of what looks like a lodge on the mold/denbigh road,,,,used to be ?
Not the 2 on the side of Penbedw/Cilcain........it is set just off the road on the opposite side,,but near by.............i was told a few years ago,that it was an office where the railway workers got their pay.
hard to explain exactly where it lies....i think the gated road at the side leads to the quarry.
any help appreciated
julie
brough staffs warwickshire/taylor rogers lancs/webb rogers staffs/delahunty ireland lancs//

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lodge on the mold denbigh road ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello jue,

What is it that you are trying to find exactly? I appreciate you are seeking information on a lodge but how does this relate to your ancestors?

Having been along this road many, many, times, I can advise that there are a number of lodge type buildings along this route. There are also quarries at various locations too. They can be found not that far from Mold, Hendre, Afonwen, Fron Haul, then further along Nannerch and Bodfari.

The railway ran along from Mold to Denbigh but this line ceased years ago.

There are some old estates along that road and I would have thought a lodge might be connected to one of those.

Can you give us a bit more to go on please?

Jo.

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo.......know where you are coming from........and i am aware of the lodges along the road,,Penbedw lodge ect.,i am just wondering what this old lodge was ?.....did it serve Cilcain Hall?,i have an old photo,with a person connected with Penbedw,sat outside this lodge,so wondering was it connected to Cilcain hall or Penbedw Hall......or as i have been told in the past,by a knowledge person (now passed),that it had railway connections ?,certainly looks like a lodge house to me,the gated road by the side ,leads to an old quarry....so was it a quarry lodge ?.....would just like to know originally what it served?
it is the one not far from the Cilcain turning,but on the opposite side of the road,
best wishes
julie
brough staffs warwickshire/taylor rogers lancs/webb rogers staffs/delahunty ireland lancs//

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible for you to post the old photo on this site please?

I cannot bring to mind the lodge you mention, so a photo may jog my memory. It may assist others with a knowledge of the area too.

Have you approached the Flintshire Record Office to see if they can help identify it?

Jo

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo,,,sorry no printer/scanner with the laptop......i am in contact with records office atm,so hopefully,they can shed some light on it.
Thanks for your help.
julie

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if you had found this lodge on the maps online, eg Google maps? That might assist us in identifying it. I may have brought it back in my memory, if I recall correctly it sits quite low on the corner of the road. I seem to think that it was built in a dark grey type stone.

Any luck with Flintshire RO?

Jo

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
hi Jo,,yes i have found it on google earth/road,,grey stone with an overhang porch,the gated road at the side leads to the quarry,,but i am thinking it could have led to Cilcain hall in the past,so again wondering if it is Cilcain hall lodge,it is dated 1816.......still in contact with ro,as i have quite a few old pics to sort out,and as some are still at photographers being enhanced,it could take a while.
(if you are going to mold from denbigh,,,,,,it is a min or so on your left hand side,past the cilcain turn off.
julie

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure the date fits,but could this be it? Image copyright Google Earth.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-26914-mold-lodge-nannerch/osmap

Moderator Comment: Copyright Image Removed. Please refer to http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php

Offline jue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:25 GMT (UK) »
thanks a lot......but no,not the one,on the wrong side of the road...i think this one maybe the Penbedw lodge WWB......(Buddicom's)......thanks for the pic though,fabulous X
P,S,       i have a feeling the one i am on about is the old Cilcain Hall lodge,,,,,but not sure  ;D