Author Topic: Brick Wall - James BELL & Eliza LAMONT  (Read 10051 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - James BELL & Eliza LAMONT
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Eliza Lamont (clearly not your one but)
Gender Female
Birth Date 26 Apr 1869
Birthplace Tyrone, Ireland
Father's Name James Lamont
Mother's Name Margaret Norris

I am looking at this Coagh family of  Lamonts
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734963.0

From what I have found James Lamont and Margaret Noris's children were being born in Coag (sometimes named as Londonderry, sometimes named as Tyrone) at the same time as your couple of James Bell and Eliza Lamont), the also had children in Tamlaght by Moneymore. James Lamont and Margaret Noris were married in Drumads in 1850. His father was Robert Lamont.

Interesting how your family shares so many names. I am thinking they are Scottish decent Presbytarians? Wonder if James Lamont (sometimes mistranscribed IGI as John) was a brother of Eliza Lamont??? We also don't know where James Lamont was born pre-1829?

Also not having much luck finding burials as some of the children immigrated and I suspect this couple were not Catholics
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 April 19 13:22 BST (UK) »
Bumping this thread as I’ve been doing some more searching in this part of the tree.

So I’ve still not found a birth record for James Bell husband of Eliza Lamont, son of Walter - but I’m not even sure there are surviving baptismal records prior to 1865.

However, I have found another couple of catholic Bell families in the surrounding region and I’m wondering if they are any relation to my ancestors. There’s a notable repetition of names among their children, so I suppose it’s a possibility.

The parents of the three catholic Bell families I’ve found are as follows:

There’s of course James Bell and Eliza Lamont my 2x great grandparents, married in 1866 district of Coagh. James’ father listed as Walter Bell, James’ profession listed as Scutcher.

Then there’s another James Bell, married to Mary Teaney (transcribed as Geaney on Irish Genealogy), married in 1890 in Drummullan. He was resident in Drumads and she was from Drumconvis ( where my later ancestors lived. James’ father is listed as a John Bell. They briefly lived in in Mullaghwotragh, right next to Drumconvis.

Then there’s a John Bell, husband of a Mary Scullion (listed as Mary School in their marriage record in  1885 when she was just 15!). They were both living in Mullaghwotragh at the time of their marriage. Interestingly, they seem to have had a son in 1904 that was recorded as Walter in the civil birth register, but appears as Albert everywhere else. They had another son, Charles, who by coincidence appears exactly one slot above one of my great grandparent’s (Hugh and Mary Ann McCann) children in the register, born in Aughavey.

So while I have no evidence that there’s any link between these families at all, my suspicions are being raised - they share a lot of names, are catholics in an area where the surname Bell is predominantly Presbyterian, and while they all move about a lot they mostly seem to be found in the same areas. All entirely circumstantial, of course, but I’m wondering if there”s any possibility that these families are at all related.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 April 19 13:39 BST (UK) »

So....you have Charles School/Scullion as father of bride (on oter thread!).... so who is mother of Scullion   Annie   8   Female   Grand Daughter  on Census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Munterevlin/Mullaghwotragh/1728005/

...just to try to clarify School/Scullion  "confusion"

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 April 19 20:31 BST (UK) »
Interestingly this website has that same Anne Scullion, born 26th August 1892 - mother Lucy, alleged illegitimate daughter of a Robert Bell (!). This source claims she married a Peter Coney in 1911 - Now I don’t know the provenance of this source so I don’t know how reliable it is. But if John Bell is indeed married into Charles Scullion’s family it seems possible that another Bell may have had an illegitimate daughter with another of his children - strange goings on in Mullaghwotragh!

EDIT: Even weirder, Robert Bell and Lucy Scullion appear as sponsors of the birth of Charles Mullan, son of Thomas Mullan and Lucy Scullion. So Lucy apparently had her illegitimate daughter and her father as sponsors of one of her children!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:12 BST (UK) »

You alsohave

Party 1 Name   JAMES MULLAN
Party 2 Name   HELENA SCULLION
Date of Event   07 May 1918
Group Registration ID   1799432
SR District/Reg Area   Cookstown

Minor, dau of Charles etc....

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1918/09709/5522088.pdf

;D  ;D

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:23 BST (UK) »
Wow... it’s apparently a small world in Coagh at the turn of the century, to say the least ;D

Now I suppose I need to figure out if these Bells are any relation to my ancestors, who seem to spend time living in the same areas around Coagh (Aughavey, Drumconvis).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 April 19 21:26 BST (UK) »

Must see if there is a Well for sale there!    ;D