Author Topic: East Bowden(?), Musselburgh  (Read 4341 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
East Bowden(?), Musselburgh
« on: Wednesday 17 December 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census for Shilbottle, Northumberland I've got my 2g grandfather James Renwick with his wife Mary and children.  Her place of birth is given as East Bowden, Musselburgh but I can find no reference to this place.  Neither can I find her birth on SP.  From the census returns it would be about 1802.  Can anyone help, please?

Regards, Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: East Bowden(?), Musselburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack ,

Are you looking at the original Census record ?

The IGI reference has East Bowden Muchelborough, Cumberland.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXQ-HRT

ev

Added -
Looks like the 1861 Census has her birthplace as Scotland.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello ev,

Yes, I've been looking at all the 1851, 1861 and 1871 originals. The first reads,as you say, Muchelborough but the later two both give her birthplace as Scotland.  That's what made me think that the enumerator may have heard it wrongly.  However, I'll do a search on Muchelborough, Cumberland and see what turns up.  Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards, Jack

Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack

There are references to an East Bowden in Durham, in the 18th and 19th centuries.  Seems to be intertwined with later references to East Boldon.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 December 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hibee,

James' second wife Ann Moor was, I think, born 1795 in East Boldon.  I do know that she died 1842 in Long Framlington and was buried in North Sunderland which is very close to East Boldon.

Jack

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 December 14 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Imber,

Thanks for that. It is the best clue I've had yet.  However, after trawling through the large scale 19thC maps on the NLS site which cover Newbigging in great detail I cannot locate Bowden Land.  I'll keep going though.

Jack

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 December 14 20:50 GMT (UK) »
However, after trawling through the large scale 19thC maps on the NLS site which cover Newbigging in great detail I cannot locate Bowden Land. 

I wonder if this is an instance of the use of 'Land' to indicate a tenement in the sense of a building with several households in it - "Bowden's Land" rather than a piece of ground. The famous example is Gladstone's Land in Edinburgh http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Gladstones-Land/ which is a 17th century high-rise tenement owned by Thomas Gladstone. Maybe someone named Bowden owned a tenement in Newbigging, Musselburgh?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 December 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure I came across a reference to this place in St Cuthbert's, monumental inscriptions, Edinburgh?

Skoosh.