Author Topic: My Goode/Goude family in Thorney  (Read 2888 times)

Offline paulloseby

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Goode/Goude family in Thorney
« on: Wednesday 17 December 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Everitt Goode b1857, before that, John Goode and then before that George Goode who married Mary Ann Hobbs.  He would seem to be a descendant of Thomas Goude and Ann Ellingham.

What I am trying to find out is whether they were Walloons or Huguenots.  My father always told me that one of my ancestors was a French Jewess and I am trying to find out whether that was actually true.  If it wasn't on that side, then it may have been on the Hyde family from Peterborough.  I just wondered whether your knowledge included anything on the Goodes.

Kindest regards and thank you in anticipation of any help that you may be able to give me.
Paul

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Goode/Goude family in Thorney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 December 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
My knowledge includes nothing on the Goodes, just wondered why you believe they may have Walloon or Hugenot ancestors, or French Jews.

Is this just information from your Father, or the spelling Goude, or based on other evidence?

Have you found birth, marriage and death records for all of them?

Added:
Family seem to be in a lot of trees on ancestry.

Also,

Welcome to rootschat - I was forgetting my manners.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 December 14 09:53 GMT (UK) »
I have some of the family on my tree but as ancestors of people who married relatives.

It is possible that they are descended from Huguenots, as are many from the area, but the names changed.

I have a book listing those on the Thorney register, the nearest being Gouy/Goui. Others beginning with G are (Le) Grain, Grome, Garbaut, Gugno and Gillot.

David

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Goode/Goude is recorded in England before any of the Huguenot waves arrived.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
All I can add is that I noticed that an Everett Goode was baptised by Thorney Methodists on 1 October 1876 (born 23 July 1876) son of William and Emma, 90 Frederick Street, Caledonian Road,
Islington. William was a Railway Guard.

Just wondered if a possible relative of your Goode family.

Regards,
Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 05:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a book listing those on the Thorney register, the nearest being Gouy/Goui. Others beginning with G are (Le) Grain, Grome, Garbaut, Gugno and Gillot.

I've Grome or Groom(e) ancestors in south west Suffolk from the early 1500s, so it is not necessarily a Huguenot name, albeit that, as with some other names like Lucas, it can be French.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
  The only Grome who seems to have been baptised at Thorney is David, son of D'Osee (Osee) Grome and Ann Doby.
  Doby is a name that appears in the French registers at Thorney and in London, as does D'Osee (Osee or Hosea) as a first name.

See http://pages.pacificcoast.net/~deboo/flemings/pages/grome.html

Not that there is a link to  http://davidgroome.com but this appears to have expired on 28th December but might be renewed.

David