Author Topic: sheppard  (Read 4588 times)

Offline sue q

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sheppard
« on: Friday 19 December 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for a RC baptism for a Margaret Sheppard, census says born Meath, on her marriage cert she says her father is called Phelim, she was born around 1824-1830, can anyone help?
Sue Q
researching- Goddard, Wilson, Moyses, Williams, Patman, Ellis, Carr, Thompson, Wilkinson, Knapp, Smith- Yorkshire,Milsom/Milson Somerset, Reaney, Ward, Wood, Brownill, Woolhouse, Inman, Chapman, Ellwood, Mason, Heeley, Midwood, Connolly and Sheppard- Ireland, Sylvester,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sheppard
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 December 14 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 which is much too late but to find any surviving baptismal records you need to have a more exact location than "Meath." Any idea of the townland or even parish?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sue q

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry no idea at all, on the english census she just states Meath
researching- Goddard, Wilson, Moyses, Williams, Patman, Ellis, Carr, Thompson, Wilkinson, Knapp, Smith- Yorkshire,Milsom/Milson Somerset, Reaney, Ward, Wood, Brownill, Woolhouse, Inman, Chapman, Ellwood, Mason, Heeley, Midwood, Connolly and Sheppard- Ireland, Sylvester,

Offline meath999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 January 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi as Sheppard is not a very commonly found name you should search the Irish 1901 census (which is free to access) you will find only a few Sheppard hits iin Meath then use their locations to help home in on what. Parish records to look for. At that time families did not move very far.

Online Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 16 16:46 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to say that Phelim is quite an interesting name.

Typically, I've found the more Irish names to be pretty rare or unfound in the 1800s, except perhaps for Patrick and Bridget.  Even in Gaelic-speaking areas, it seems like you would have never found a name like Sean or Seamus in that period or perhaps for a period going back even earlier.

Since much of the society was still illiterate, I have wondered if a name like John may have been pronounced like Sean, since that is its equivalent, but one of the last storytellers, speaking entirely in Gaelic had the name John, pronounced John.

One exception is the name Thade or Thadeus, which was often interchanged with Timothy.  So. perhaps, there may be a small possibility that the man had another name, which was sometimes used in the place of Phelim.  For instance, I notice a Peter Sheppard on the tithes, which roughly date back to that era.

But, of course, that would be a real longshot.  More likely, Peter was his one and only name.

I would recommend looking for Sheppards on the Tithes and Griffith's Valuation though, since they date back to closer to that era.  Though, if he were a laborer, he may not have appeared on them.  It could be he was of a poorer class if he emigrated to England.

Anyway, if you do zoom in on a parish record which survives with the name Phelim, I would say it is close to a sure bet, even if you don't straight away find Margaret.