Author Topic: Thomas Tottie  (Read 5657 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Thomas Tottie
« on: Saturday 20 December 14 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,
I have found that one of my Swedish forebears was actually Scottish. Thomas Tottie was a tobacco dresser/merchant in Stockholm in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. According to online data, he was born in Jedburgh c. 1664, son of a customs officer.
I would like to verify this if possible. Also, a question I have is would it be likely for a customs officer to be in a town far from the sea? Is it because Jedburgh is close to the English border? Excuse my ignorance in this.
I did find a John Tottie marrying and baptising a son in Newburgh, around the same time. These were the only Tottie entries on familysearch for that time frame. Interestingly, Thomas' eldest son was John.
Apparently he married twice (I am descended from the second marriage). His first wife was a Tabitha Pearson, who he married in 1688, not sure in Scotland or Sweden.
Sorry for the lack of detail.

Thanks in advance.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Tottie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 December 14 09:51 GMT (UK) »
a question I have is would it be likely for a customs officer to be in a town far from the sea? Is it because Jedburgh is close to the English border?
I think that is a very likely explanation. Bear in mind that 1664 is after the Unions of Crowns in 1603, when James VI of Scotland also became James I of England. However it was before the Union of Parliaments in 1707, so Scotland and England were still two completely separate states, even though they shared a monarch.

I did find a John Tottie marrying and baptising a son in Newburgh
Which Newburgh? I can think of at least three (one town, one village and one farm), and there are probably others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 December 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi pinefamily

Here is Thomas on the Swedish Wikipedia. I hope your Swedish is up to it or perhaps Google can help out.
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tottie

I took a look on Scotlandspeople and there are a few Totties around that time in Births, Marriages and Deaths.

Ian

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Here is his will/inventory:

Stockholms rådhusrätt 1:a avdelning F1A:93 (1724-1724) Bild 570

It is very long... around 30 pages.

Ian

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 14 11:03 GMT (UK) »
The information is inconsistent.

If he was born in 1664, he can hardly have gone to Sweden independently and gone to work in a tobacco company in 1668!

So either he was born earlier than 1664, or he must have been taken to Stockholm by his parents or guardian, or he arrived in Sweden much later than 1668.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, according to another site he came to Sweden in 1688.

Ian

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 December 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thomas is mentioned on pp. 30-31 of the book <a href="https://archive.org/details/scotsinswedenbei00fiscuoft">The Scots in Sweden</a> by Th. A. Fischer, which has been digitised and made available online. You can read it online or download a copy. Unfortunately it doesn't give much more information, other than the fact that his grandson Carl became Swedish Consul-General in London.
Fischer also wrote The Scots in Germany (Edinburgh, 1902) and The Scots in Eastern and Western Prussia (Edinburgh, 1903)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 December 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your input. I have most of the data mentioned, although his will and inventory is proving a challenge.
I want to find his birth or baptism in Scotland, rather than rely on sources telling me he was from Jedburgh.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 December 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Realistically, if you have not found his baptism on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, you aren't going to find it. Records are sparser the further back you get, and there is no other source for baptisms before 1700.