Author Topic: Robert Fripp (1724 - 1754) Missing records  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Charlie Fripp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Fripp (1724 - 1754) Missing records
« on: Sunday 21 December 14 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm at my wit's end and almost at the point of giving up. I'm desperately looking for information on Robert Fripp (born 1724 in Hampshire, died 1754 in Dorset). I have built up my family tree up to Robert, but can't seem to find any record going beyond him e.g his parents.

I have tried numerous ancestry websites, including Ancenstry.com (where I have an active family tree), but all the record that they have can't go beyond him - which doesn't help me much.

Is there anybody that would be able to help me track down more linage information of him?

I really want to complete my family tree, as I have some really interesting characters in it, e.g guitarist Robert Fripp, WWII veteran Alfie Fripp, and Sir Alfred Downing Fripp KCVO.

On a side note, I'm also trying to establish which Fripp branch left the UK and sailed to the USA - which I haven't been able to do yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Fripp (1724 - 1754) Missing records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 December 14 01:15 GMT (UK) »
1. If your Robert is the one buried at Witchampton, Dorset 9/12/1754 no age is given so what makes you think he was bc.1724, plus as he married in 1740 this would only make him 16??   Not very likely I think.

2. Just because the 1740 marriage took in Hampshire doesn't mean that Robert was necessarily born in Hampshire.

3. Is it possible Robert was a widower when he married Emma?   A Mary Fripp, wife of Robert, was buried 9/4/1734 at Witchampton.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Charlie Fripp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thanks for the mail - I appreciate any correspondence. I'm pretty positive that all his data checks out, as it corroborates what is listed in "England Marriages, 1538–1973" for Ringwood, Hampshire, England, which references the FHL microfilm 0994051 IT 3-5.

One fact in which you are correct though, is that he did indeed die on 29 December 1754 in
Witchampton. What do you think I'm missing? Or where can I get the correct info for him?

Maybe where I'm faltering, is that I assumed his birth and christening would be in the same year. 

As far as I can tell, he was married twice: 20 April 1740 to Emm Marsh, and at an undisclosed date to Mary Joice. It is still up for discussion as to who he had his Thomas (born 1742) with - as its either Emm or Mary.

This is the struggle that I'm dealing with  :(

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 December 14 17:16 GMT (UK) »
The only marriage I can see taking place between a Robert Fripp and a Mary Joice took place 21/9/1830, Hilton, Dorset!!

We all hit this problem at some point and very often it's not possible to break through the 'wall'.

The nearest thing I can find at Ringwood is the baptism of a Robert Cribb bp.29/3/1716, son of Robert.   It might be worth contacting the Hampshire Record Office to have a check done from the original records - there don't seem to be any other Cribb baptisms at Ringwood in the relevant period so is this possibly a mistranscription for 'Fripp'?   Best I can suggest I'm afraid - I still feel certain he was not 16 when he married - most grooms were around 20-25.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Google Dorset OPC and proceed from there. It is the best site I know for Dorset records.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thanks for the mail - I appreciate any correspondence. I'm pretty positive that all his data checks out, as it corroborates what is listed in "England Marriages, 1538–1973" for Ringwood, Hampshire, England, which references the FHL microfilm 0994051 IT 3-5.

One fact in which you are correct though, is that he did indeed die on 29 December 1754 in
Witchampton. What do you think I'm missing? Or where can I get the correct info for him?have tou tried reaching his relatives, descendants. I lve next to anne fripp married to dave roberts and cousin to the current robert fripp musician and if they are related maybe another twig in the family they may have info you are loking for maybe a family bible .
marcie(address 92 ashington lane.)

Maybe where I'm faltering, is that I assumed his birth and christening would be in the same year. 

As far as I can tell, he was married twice: 20 April 1740 to Emm Marsh, and at an undisclosed date to Mary Joice. It is still up for discussion as to who he had his Thomas (born 1742) with - as its either Emm or Mary.

This is the struggle that I'm dealing with  :(
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 December 14 14:50 GMT (UK) »
A Robert Fripp was baptised at Wichampton 30 September 1740 son of Robert and Mary Fripp. There is no record of Mary dying in these records on Dorset OPC. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a 16 year old marrying; at that time custom was 14 for a boy minimum and remember too as shown by his presumed death at age 34 lives were often correspondingly shorter.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 September 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
I've got some distant Fripps .... but have you checked alternate spellings ?    Frypp, Freep for instance ?   

Edward Fripp, m. 1795 in Witchampton, but no ancestor really .... married into my Foyles.   Some of the children appears to have added Fripp to Foyle to make a new surname !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
I've got some distant Fripps .... but have you checked alternate spellings ?    Frypp, Freep for instance ?   

Edward Fripp, m. 1795 in Witchampton, but no ancestor really .... married into my Foyles.   Some of the children appears to have added Fripp to Foyle to make a new surname !
is he related to robrert fripp? my next door neighbour is his cousin or second cousin
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet