Author Topic: history - events in Brecknockshire about 1758-1761  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: history - events in Brecknockshire about 1758-1761
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
If I can find anything I'll be in touch FS but in the meantime if you want to know anything about the area, please contact me.  I do hope she had a bit of happiness in her life: from what little I know of her it seems she must have had a hard time.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Bridget seems to have died a rich lady, GS..... after 10 years in the workhouse she inherited a substantial amount through her brother's estate in 1791, just after being discharged from the workhouse. Its a rags to riches story, in a way. She sounds an adventurous sort of woman - she died in 1792. I'm gathering proof - or at least persuasive information - for each stage of her life, but I am reasonably sure I have her timeline accurately plotted. However I am hoping for a few more documents from Worcester, Essex and the St Botolph Aldgate workhouse to add more evidence for her story. Thanks for helping!
Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Dunno if this helps, but the Nat. Library of Wales has online newspapers and Marriage Bonds, as well as Wills, for Wales. I haven't checked the relevant dates, but might be worth you looking on the website?  Good luck, anyway
Elaine

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
hi there - thanks for the reply - I DID look there -nothing so far, but I do remain hopeful! This obviously needs some in-depth research in Brecknock (hard from Australia, but not impossible).
cheers!
Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Megworcester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
There seems to be some confusion. Bedwardine is in St John's, a suburb of Worcester although at the date being discussed it was probably a separate village. The area was well known for its glove-making.
I suggest Bredwardine in Breconshire is a completely different place.
Meg