Author Topic: history - events in Brecknockshire about 1758-1761  (Read 6410 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: history - events in Brecknockshire about 1758-1761
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
If I can find anything I'll be in touch FS but in the meantime if you want to know anything about the area, please contact me.  I do hope she had a bit of happiness in her life: from what little I know of her it seems she must have had a hard time.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Bridget seems to have died a rich lady, GS..... after 10 years in the workhouse she inherited a substantial amount through her brother's estate in 1791, just after being discharged from the workhouse. Its a rags to riches story, in a way. She sounds an adventurous sort of woman - she died in 1792. I'm gathering proof - or at least persuasive information - for each stage of her life, but I am reasonably sure I have her timeline accurately plotted. However I am hoping for a few more documents from Worcester, Essex and the St Botolph Aldgate workhouse to add more evidence for her story. Thanks for helping!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline mrs.family

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Dunno if this helps, but the Nat. Library of Wales has online newspapers and Marriage Bonds, as well as Wills, for Wales. I haven't checked the relevant dates, but might be worth you looking on the website?  Good luck, anyway
Elaine

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
hi there - thanks for the reply - I DID look there -nothing so far, but I do remain hopeful! This obviously needs some in-depth research in Brecknock (hard from Australia, but not impossible).
cheers!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Megworcester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 15 16:35 BST (UK) »
There seems to be some confusion. Bedwardine is in St John's, a suburb of Worcester although at the date being discussed it was probably a separate village. The area was well known for its glove-making.
I suggest Bredwardine in Breconshire is a completely different place.
Meg