Author Topic: Kilwaren in Ayrshire?  (Read 7913 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Kilwaren in Ayrshire?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
jmara, what happened with the family after 1870? Did a parent die, did they move away from Scotland? Can't easily see them on Scottish censuses after the births of the children so far mentioned ...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi- I know my part of the family (son Thomas Heenan) emigrated to the U.S. around 1880-85. I wasn't sure what happened to his siblings and parents; if they also emigrated (don't think so), remained in Scotland or returned to Ireland. From what I could tell, I thought they'd been in Scotland a few generations and might have remained. From what you are saying, it looks like that is likely not the case. thanks.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

Possible death for Margaret Heenan Gaitens, 1873. Tradeston, Glasgow, age 28 years.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 December 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Not much help with an Ayrshire connection I'm afraid ....but found this when Googling Kilwarren - http://www.fresnostate.edu/folklore/ballads/RcBoKilw.html     .
According to this site Kilwarren was a parish in Galway. Could this maybe be where Thomas's family came from??
Looby :)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 15:16 GMT (UK) »
It be Kilkerran which is west of Straiton although I see no Heenan's this far south during your time frame.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thomas appears to have been born in Anderston Glasgow on 14 May 1864   https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F79Z-4V5

Perhaps the family moved to a location in Ayrshire sometime afterwards??   
But I still wonder if the connection is an old parish in Ireland.  I also wonder if "Ayrshire" has developed from a corruption on the word "Eire" . As an Ayrshire girl born and bred it's astonishing how many times I've given my address over the phone to register or order things and the letters/parcel come in with an address in Eireshire!

Looby :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Would be good to see what the 1863 marriage cert stated regarding John and Margaret's parents to see what links can be made back to their families.

Jonn has found the likely death of wife/mother Margaret Gaitens in 1873. jmara, you could check that death to see if this is Thomas' mother's death. Death cert will include lots of details to let you confirm it is the correct death. There is also a possible death in 1870 for a Margaret Heenan, going by the age (under 1) possibly the one you found, aghadowey, born in Tradeston in 1870 (death also shows in Tradeston, Glasgow).

jmara, your ancestor I think is Thomas? Did he go to the US? I can see one Thomas Heenan in Illinois with approximate birth years linked to the one in Glasgow. Is this your Thomas Heenan?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
You guys are amazing! Thank you to every one who posted. I had no idea there was such "support" on this journey I've been slogging along as as an amateur.
To address some of the questions: yes, my Thomas is the one who came to Illinois and lived in the Chicago area. He was a coal miner there and had eight children with another Irish-Scotch immigrant  from the Daly family. I searched google for Kilwarren and did not come up with the resources you folks did-thank you. To address one comment, I suppose "Ayrshire" could be a corruption of "Eire" but the family member was adamant he was born in Ayrshire, Kilwarren, Scotland. I did find one Thomas Heenan born in Ayrshire (Maybole) in 1867 on familysearch.org (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSDB-R6L) but he is listed in Scotland's census in 1891 and although there is no US Census listing my Thomas,  I know he was married in the U.S. in 1892, so I thought that couldn't be my Thomas. Do you all agree?   On the Margaret Heenan Gaetens, I also saw her but dismissed it, thinking that my ancestor's maiden name was Gaetens and married name was Heenan, so it would be the other way around. I have not done death certs in Scotlandpeople yet, so that may be my next step. I am a newbie at this, but I think John's find of a Kilkennen in Ayrshire sounds the most promising. Perhaps he was born there and they moved after that. Does that sound like the most reasonable conclusion to you all?