Author Topic: Erskine Church death records  (Read 2085 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Erskine Church death records
« on: Tuesday 23 December 14 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My most ancient ancestor, John Main, died 1840, Slamannan. He married Isobel Young 1799, Slamannan. I have been looking for their death records (as well as three of their children Mary, Elizabeth & Alexander) with no success for a number of years. John farmed Easter Glen farm, just south of Falkirk. I suspect they were buried in the Erskine Church cemetery which would have been close to their home. Apparently the burial ground, not far from the California Primary School, was removed when a shopping center was constructed there in the 1960s. The remains were reinterred in the Camelon cemetery. Would anyone know if these records would have survived, and if so, how would I be able to access them?
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Erskine Church death records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Have a look here: http://memento-mori.co.uk/87.pdf

Anne  :)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for this Anne. Had a look and no luck. I'm still fairly certain that they were buried there. The site states that " the Churchyard closed for burials in 1871 although subsequent burials did take place after this date. There are no known Burial Records."
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 15:35 GMT (UK) »
A follow up: I reviewed a death record of Elizabeth Main who died in 1835 and was buried in the 2nd United Associate Churchyard. She was the daughter of John Main/ Isobel Young, the family I am researching. I note that the 1st United Associate Churchyard became the Erskine Church, but was not able to find out what happened to the burials in the 2nd United Associate Churchyard.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim , i have been trying to see if i could find any information to help you. I am a bit confused about the bit that states the graves were moved in 1960 in California to allow the building of a shopping centre ,unless this was knocked down before 1980 then i have never seen such a thing only a village shop. The only Erskine church i can find is the one in Falkirk, i have googled Erskine Church California but found nothing. You said John died in Slamannan would he not have been buried in the churchyard there? If they are in Camelon cemetery there is an office at the old gatehouse ,if you can supply Name, Date of Death they then print off a map for you with details of who is in the plot. If you wish i am only to happy to take their details and check at Camelon cemetery office for you.
                                                 Colin.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin, Thanks for this. I know John Main died in 1840, as I have his testament. He was at Easter Glen farm just south of Falkirk and a number of his children ended up in Slamannan, but I can't say that he died in Slamannan - this is what I am looking for. The same applies to his wife Isobel Young. I did find the death of what I suspect is a daughter Elizabeth in 1835; she was buried in the 2nd United Associate churchyard, which would have been the closest one to Easter Glen. I found the information on the removal of the remains to Camelon on a Falkirk Historical website and did check out the following site as suggested by Anne (with no luck)  http://memento-mori.co.uk/87.pdf
My other problem is that I'm not certain of John's birthdate; I suspect it was 1765 (parents James Main/ Mary Mitchell). His death date was 5March 1840. His wife, Isobel Young was born 4August 1776, Slamannan (parents John Young/ Isobel Hardie). Any queries you might be able to carry out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jim
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline king ranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Right Jim there was a bit of snow here today ,but most of it has gone i am only 10 minutes from Camelon Cemetery so if the weather is ok i will pop up tomorrow and see if they can find them on the computer.
                                              Colin.