Author Topic: Larret Casy and Ichabod Wells - help with birth records please  (Read 2449 times)

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Larret Casy and Ichabod Wells - help with birth records please
« on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I was wondering if anybody could help me. I have come across two brick walls in my family in Wiltshire.

The first one is Larret Casy, married Charles Wright 1691 and d 1721under Lany Wright both in Rodbourne Cheney.
The second is Ichabod Wells married John Preddy/Pridy 1693 in Lydiard Tregoze. No death found.

Both women's husbands had been married before (although I can't find the marriages) so they both have a birth date of around 1670. I've been searching for a while but am obviously confused as Ichabod is usually a male forename and it is definitely this, as her children's baptisms say so.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Larret Casy and Ichabod Wells - help with birth records please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
hello there,

i am very curious as to this post , because not only does the same post appear here but on many boards worldwide..... so I have taken advantage of the wiltshire opc site >

http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Lydiard/Lydiard%20Millicent%20-%20Marriages%201580-1837.pdf

and checked for myself, as to the validity of the marriage "Ichabod Wells married John Preddy/Pridy 1693 in Lydiard Tregoze" and ask you to clarify where exactly did you acquire the information, as it does not appear in the marriage transcription.....and having seen Jodi Fullers work over the years do not believe she would make an error in transcription of the register.

I am also curious to the validity of the person in the first instance , and as you rightly point out the name Ichabod is usually a males name.

fastfusion

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
fastfusion - I think you might have misread the location.  Wiltshire OPC don't have transcriptions for Lydiad Tregoze marriages on their site.  The marriage does appear in the Lydiard Tregoze register transcriptions on 27 August 1693. 

May I ask what the evidence is for previous marriages for the grooms, please?

Lydiard Tregoze parish registers only survive from 1666 so records of baptism may be hard to find.  There are some BTs from 1607, 1615, 1620-22, 1632-35, 1642-63.

For Rodbourne Cheney registers date from 1653 or 1655.  BTs survive for 1605-09, 1620-23.  WFHS apparently have transcriptions from 1605 for baptisms and burials.

Of course, they may have been born elsewhere :-\

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 December 14 09:04 GMT (UK) »
o dear........    i see i have made an error ...   soz.......  thx little nell for pointing such out....
must be the result of toooooo much xmas cheer......

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 December 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
fastfusion - I think you might have misread the location.  Wiltshire OPC don't have transcriptions for Lydiad Tregoze marriages on their site.  The marriage does appear in the Lydiard Tregoze register transcriptions on 27 August 1693. 

May I ask what the evidence is for previous marriages for the grooms, please?

Lydiard Tregoze parish registers only survive from 1666 so records of baptism may be hard to find.  There are some BTs from 1607, 1615, 1620-22, 1632-35, 1642-63.

For Rodbourne Cheney registers date from 1653 or 1655.  BTs survive for 1605-09, 1620-23.  WFHS apparently have transcriptions from 1605 for baptisms and burials.

Of course, they may have been born elsewhere :-\

Nell

The evidence for the grooms marrying before is their children's baptisms with different mother's name.
For example, John was married to a Hannah on or before 1687 who died 1692 and they had four children.

Charles was married to an Elizabeth and they also had four children, and married on or before 1676, Elizabeth dying in 1687.

John  and Ichabod moved to Rodbourne Cheney, so the families probably knew each other, as Charles' son William married John's daughter Elizabeth 1724 in Rodbourne Cheney, and those followed my ancestors.

Thanks for replying - Happy Christmas!

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 January 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm still searching for the baptisms :)