Author Topic: Josette Finlay  (Read 10050 times)

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Josette Finlay
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 March 15 01:50 GMT (UK) »
back to the drawing board for me with the MNO.  Anyone have access to the montreal gazette archives?  Maybe Josette's obit has more information and I'm assuming it could be in the Gazette.

She died in 1839.  Could be under josette Finlay or Pion or Pion dit Lafontaine.  She may also be recorded as Josephte.

Thanks,

~Keith
Normoyle/Normile - Montreal Canada from Limerick Ireland
Burton - Montreal Canada from Cheshire England
O'Connor - Limerick Ireland
Myers - Montreal Canada
Perrier/Perrier dit Barthelemi - Quebec Canada
Pion/Pion dit Lafontaine - Quebec Canada
Finlay - Western Canada & U.S.A
Tonks - Montreal Canada from Staffordshire England
Sinn - Montreal Canada from China
McNulty - Ballina county Mayo Ireland
Bristol - Montreal Canada from Derbyshire England

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
Very sorry to hear about the MNO outcome.

The Montreal Gazette Archives are online and free to browse. Here is a link. Click on 'browse this newspaper' and boxes should appear where you can enter years, etc.

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19330508&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Did I ask if you have considered DNA testing? Would the MNO accept DNA documentation?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 April 15 17:18 BST (UK) »
I have since looked through the gazette and there are no archives available for 1839.  DNA testing would help as I need to show that my ancestors were Metis.  DNA testing would show First Nations and European but that would just link me to every First Nations group.  My issue is that my Metis ancestors moved to Quebec prior the churches doing missions in the west and recording the families and prior to Scrip records.

I think my next route is to find the journals from Fort des Prairies where she was born or Spokane House and find hopefully anything mentioning the two of them.

If not then I will look at applying through another Metis organization. 
Myers - Montreal Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 April 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

My goodness, you have brick walls thrown up everywhere you go, don't you?

Too bad about the DNA testing. I didn't realize they could only distinguish Native American from European and not Mohawk from Ojibway, etc. Perhaps they may be able to do so in the future.

I'm sure you have read much about Jacques but in case you haven't seen this.....Jacques' signature can be found on p. 29.

http://www.oregonpioneers.com/bios/JacquesRafaelFinlay.pdf

I wonder if the library at the University of Alberta would be of any assistance with possible records?

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have actually connected with Chalk on FB.  A lot of the records I got from the Glenbow Archives were authored by him.  Turns out I helped him a lot as Josette disappeared from their research in 1824 and they didn't know what happened to her.  He thinks there is something wrong with the MNO.  They should understand that for the period and area that the puzzle pieces don't always slide perfectly into place and sometimes you have to pound them in.

Her baptism that she had as an adult has her born in the time and place Jacko was stationed.  Her children's baptisms have them born where he was stationed at that time.  Her husband (their father) has him stationed at the fort Jacko famously built.  This should be enough, as it's not as if there were a lot of people in the area at that time.  I know it's circumstantial but a jesuit missionary travelled the west and drew a Finlay family tree around 1856.  From the Finlay's he met, he recorded their sister Josette marrying a Pion and moving to Canada which at the time was Quebec.  The MNO said the tree wasn't an acceptable form of proof.   

I truly believe there are a few factors at play.

1.  The strongly base their admition on Scrip records   
2.  They're busy with the flood of applicants since the government may soon accept the Metis as an official member of the First Nations of Canada and thus entitled to any funding other groups receive.
3.  I think the genealogist working on my account may be new
4.  There may be some prejudice against Metis from Quebec because for the most part in Quebec, the Metis hid the ancestry to avoid prosecution.

With the DNA testing the problem with Metis is that the DNA may show Ojibwa and European but it doesn't prove that my ancestors lived as Metis.  They could tell me to go apply to be an Ojibwa.  That's if they accepted DNA testing.
Myers - Montreal Canada

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 16:24 BST (UK) »
I hope you have success in your hunt for the journals of Fort des Prairies (which I understand eventually became Edmonton) and Spokane House that you mentioned looking for a few posts back and that they have the info you are seeking.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Sent a PM

PB

Offline Mockradgy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/METISGEN/2002-02/1013883921

I hope you have resolved your brick wall issue. I have a lot of information on the Finlay family including the aboriginal side. This is an old patch but there my be something of use in it.

Paul