Author Topic: Marriage Help Please Inverness  (Read 2531 times)

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Help Please Inverness
« on: Friday 26 December 14 07:41 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of

Alexander Fraser to Catherine Cameron

On their daughter's marriage in 1854 in Australia cert her place of birth shows as Inverness
Parents names as above - father's occupation as Merchant.
Daughter Margaret born C1832 who emigrated to Australia on her own arriving 20.1.1853 on the James Brown as an assisted British Immigrant.
I do not have any details of any other children to have a closer guess at what year the marriage would have been.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Help Please Inverness
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 December 14 18:54 GMT (UK) »
There is this 1841 for 19 Shoe Lane Inverness - all surname Fraser and all shown as b Inverness

Catherine 40
Alexander 15
Margaret 10
Inverness ED 12 Page 26 Line 560

Plus another entry - all b Inverness

Alex Fraser    54 coppersmith
Catherine     38
Alex 14
Isabella  12
Margaret  10
Inverness ED 1B Page 22 Line 830
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 December 14 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that.

I looked in to these a couple of years ago and worked out that the family of five with father Alex being a coppersmith, from the Family Search website I think Catherine was Catherine MacDonald and they were married in 1832 but that doesn't work out for this family as their children were all born before 1832, so this can't be right. There is also a Catherine Ross who married an Alexander Fraser in Inverness 1 June 1821. But I can't find a marriage between Fraser and Cameron.

A few years ago I found an IGI record for a Margaret Fraser, born 9.7.1832 Bap 16.7.1832 at inverness with parents Alexander Fraser and Margaret Cameron.  There is also a family on the 1841 census with father Alex as a shoemaker, wife Margaret and 7 children including a Margaret aged 10, so this is probably the Margaret on the IGI individual record so not mine.

On the 1851 census I found a Catherine Fraser aged 51 shown as wife with a Donald McPherson, a pensioner in Inverness. There was a marriage for them in Jan 1842, so not sure why she was on as Fraser. With them were his stepson Alexander Fraser 23 and Margaret 18 stepdaughter shown as a Flesher's daughter. A flesher seems to be a butcher. This could be the first family you found at Shoe Lane. Does flesher's daughter refer to her stepfather as being butcher or her biological father.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 14 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Does flesher's daughter refer to her stepfather as being butcher or her biological father.

Donald McPherson is shown as "Pensioner From Sappers & Miners 1/2 1/2 Perday"  whatever that means?? but suspect he was a former miner receiving some form of pensioner payment

So any ref to flesher must be to their biological father's occupation

In addition to being a butcher – a flesher can also be somebody who works in the tanning industry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Sapper & Miner I should think is the army.

Skoosh.