Author Topic: Seek british SPENCERs today! Any SPENCER cousins out there???  (Read 12669 times)

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seek british SPENCERs today! Any SPENCER cousins out there???
« on: Saturday 27 December 14 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Seeking an exchange of genealogical info, and /or Old SPENCER (emailed) images, and /or (possible, eventual) friendship (only if mutually wanted), as I am an American SPENCER searching for our U.K. Spencer COUSINS, who TODAY Still possess SPENCER as their surname (or was your maiden name). We Know you all exist, but we have All been LOST to one another, through time & distance.

IF you KNOW your SPENCER Ancestry to somewhat further back, and /or you believe you may either descend from Spencers who either came out of Bedfordshire or perhaps the counties of Leicestershire, Warwickshire and /or Northamptonshire, I'd love to hear from you! I have MUCH Spencer info/pix to share, in exchange!

Those who may have the following within their line, are even more likely to be OF the particular line of Spencers I am trying to locate: 1) If the first names in your male Spencers, tend to be: William, Charles, Thomas, Robert, George, John, or Geoffrey, over and over, you may be of same line as I & my other American Spencer cousins.

Or- 2) If the CAREERS of Your SPENCERs tend to often be that of: Doctors, Writers, Engineers, Scientists, Professors / Teachers, Politicians, or, Inventors, then perhaps your Spencer kin are related to ours.

Also, 3)If your Spencers were Great WANDERERS, either just Loving Travel, or actually emigrating great distances --say part of your branch is still in England, but another brach headed-out to South Africa, Australia, Canada, or New Zealand, this could also be an indication of our being of the same particular blood Spencer family.

OR IF You simply would LIKE TO KNOW of WHICH (of some 20+different un-related) SPENCER Clans you DO come from, please get in-touch and I can assist on this, as is a simple way to FIND your Own SPENCERs and many of them HAVE Papers that Could help you push your line further back in time, or even to find from Whom your Spencers ORIGINATED!!

Ok, hoping to hear from All the BRITISH Spencers out there, soon!

Take Care,

Vienna Spencer (I'm from a seaside town in California)

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Seek british SPENCERs today! Any SPENCER cousins out there???
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 14 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vienna ...... have you tried ancestry.com.uk for starters ...... I have Spencer relations,by marriage,in my tree and this might be a starter for you.
1881 Census
Dwelling: 4 Raymouth Rd
Census Place: Rotherhithe, Surrey
Source:  PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0580 Folio 75 Page 48

William SPENCER M 41  M Bayswater Head  Occ: City (Merchant) (Meter)
Elizabeth SPENCER M 36  F Bermondsey Rel: Wife
William SPENCER   13  M Bermondsey Son Occ: Printer
Richard SPENCER   12  M Bermondsey Son Occ: Scholar
John SPENCER   10  M Rotherhithe Son Occ: Scholar
Elizabeth SPENCER   8  F Rotherhithe Dau Occ: Scholar
George SPENCER   6  M Rotherhithe Son Occ: Scholar
Walter SPENCER   3  M Rotherhithe Son
Ernest SPENCER   1  M Rotherhithe Son

1891 Census
RG12/373 ED 12 Folio 102 Page 5
117 Abbey Street
Bermondsey St Olave Southwark
SPENCER William Head 51 Mar b Notting Hill Middlesex  Corn Meter
SPENCER Elizth Mary Wife 44 Mar b Bermondsey
SPENCER William George 23 Unm Bermondsey Railway Clerk
SPENCER Richd Charles 22 Unm Bermondsey  Brokers Clerk
SPENCER Elizth Mary Dau 18 Unm Bermondsey
SPENCER George Ernest Son 16 Unm B Rotherhithe Telegraph Messenger
SPENCER Walter Son 13 Rotherhithe Scholar
SPENCER Ernest Edward 11 Rotherhithe Scholar
SPENCER Fredk James 8 Rotherhithe Scholar
SPENCER Cicila A M Dau 6 Rotherhithe Scholar
SPENCER Herbert Coe 5 Months b Bermondsey

1901 census
RG13/389 Folio: 175 page: 11
34 Grange Road, Bermondsey

Elizabeth Spencer 57 Head Widow Jamaica Road
Richard C Spencer 31 son single Southwark Pk Rd  Clerk C C
Elizabeth Mary Spencer 28 daughter single Raymouth Rd
Walter Spencer 23 son single Raymouth Rd Van Traveller Carm
Frederick J Spencer 18 son single Raymouth Rd Warehouse Boy Port
Cecilia A Spencer 16 daughter single Raymouth Rd Lie Hand Shift
Richard Spencer 59 Uncle Widower Notting Hill Journeyman Cooper
George J Smith 24 Lodger Shadwell London Van traveller Carm

In the 1901 Census Herbert Coe Spencer was a pupil at Freemens' Orphan
School, Ferndale Road, Stockwell
RG13/434 Folio: 119 Page: 3

So William the head in 1891 must have died between censuses.
I know no more than this but if you subscribe to ancestry.com.uk you may glean more.
Good Luck,
Joe

Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Vienna.

I also have a very distant Spencer by marriage. Have you checked the Surname Interests Table (at the bottom of the page)?

Your request is fairly broad - there will be millions of Spencer descendants out there ...

Have you checked Goons? (Though I expect the surname is too common to have a one name study.)

I think your requirement or suggestion that others Spencers may fit in with yours due to occupations may be a little elitist. I'm sure there are many who were humble labourers etc. you may put off genuine descendants due to this.

Also the use of the term 'Clan' indicates, though is not exclusive to, a Scottish connection and this may also be misleading to some.

You may wish to be a little more specific and tell us precisely which Spencer family you are researching, and you may be able to connect with the correct English Spencer family descendants.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Previous post on this family which contains more information on the family concerned

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630496.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Previous post on this family which contains more information on the family concerned

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=630496.

Thanks Rosie. Forgot I'd posted on the other theead too. Still in agreement with myself I see.  ;D

Odd way of approaching the task though ....

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »

Forgot I'd posted on the other theead too. Still in agreement with myself I see.  ;D

It was a while ago  :)   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 December 14 03:28 GMT (UK) »
I am not trying to be in any way shape or form "elitist". Every family has a Story, of interest. It doesn't matter whether they were farmers (as most of us all were, originally), or shop-keepers, doctors or house- builders. But if a majority of a "particular" family HAPPEN to be doctors, teachers, inventors, and engineers, over and over again, all down through time, WHY is it NOT Ok to "say" so?! Especially since IF a Spencer out there happens to see this post and recognize it within their Own line, which then would maybe cause them to get in-touch with me? Also certain 1st names do occur over and over in Every family out there, so that forms a recognizable "pattern",as well. As do certain personality traits---just like in ANY line of kin. So saying they have interests in books/reading, inventing, politics, travel, medicine, old things (antiques, history,etc), is also a Valid comment, and maybe one which will resonate with other Spencers out there,as peculiar to their own kin. Nothing meant good, bad or better than anyone else, just that it "is". So if people "Read" my statements THAT Way, it is Their perceptions NOT MY INTENTION! Thanks, Vienna Spencer

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 December 14 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joboy for the info from the Census and suggestion of ancestry.uk. Problem is--EVERYONE is on Ancestry (us, uk, canada, oz,etc.) and all those sites are seen by everyone in All those countries--so one does not reach anyone NEW--which is Why i have posted on some particularly British websites, such as this one,here. But thank you for the William Spencer family info--I may try to trace it down to today, and see what I find.

And Ruskie- thanks for your comments, as well. I don't know Goons--but I will check it out. And my former just posted reply, re: elitist, I hope you read, as Nothing could be Further form the truth, about what I am posting.

Anyway thanks everyone for the kind help! Take Care,

Vienna Spencer

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 December 14 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joboy for the info from the Census and suggestion of ancestry.uk. Problem is--EVERYONE is on Ancestry (us, uk, canada, oz,etc.) and all those sites are seen by everyone in All those countries--so one does not reach anyone NEW truth, about what I am posting.

Vienna Spencer
You did ask ...... and I provided the Spencers in my family tree.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.