Author Topic: Seek british SPENCERs today! Any SPENCER cousins out there???  (Read 12670 times)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seek british SPENCERs today! Any SPENCER cousins out there???
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 December 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Not bearing the name Spencer, nor being a doctor, inventor, traveller or engineer, I don't qualify, BUT my 14xg grandfather was Robert Spencer of Cople Beds, and I've done a fair amount of research on this early Beds Spencer family, some of whom emigrated to America. You may find a thread on Soc. Gen.  Medieval of interest which contains a VAST amount of detail on the early Beds Spencers - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/soc.genealogy.medieval/spencer/soc.genealogy.medieval/M881mPbStKc/MNjkmfSTI88J

Just did a quick and dirty analysis of Spencer males in  Beds born 1821+/- 10  in the 1851 census. There were 2 shoemakers, a carman, a carpenter, a shepherd, a stone mason, 5 ag labs, 3 gardeners, 2 labourers one of whom was in PRISON, a gamekeeper, a dealer in hardware, and 2 surgeons not practising. A fairly TYPICAL cross section with NO indication AT ALL that Spencers had a predisposition to the occupations mentioned. Many occupations were handed down from father to son eg blacksmiths, shoemakers, carpenters so it's not at all surprising that certain Spencers had eg surgeons running in their particular branch, but to imply that there could be a genetic connection is risible.

There were 35,000 Spencers in England in the 1911 census.

BB
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Joe, for your Spencer info. Do you know if that line died or daughtered-out? It is the Spencers of Today I am seeking, those who still possess that surname today (or was their maiden name). But I may still attempt to trace your line of in-laws down to today, if possible. Thanks again, Vienna

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 December 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Vienna, on one hand you appear desperate to find Spencer cousins from the UK but when Joboy provides you with his Spencer family and you say you "may try to trace it to see what you can find" which, perhaps wrongly on my part, gives the impression that you are not particularly interested. I imagine Joboy is hoping you may be able to provide him with the papers, pictures and information which will show him which of the 20 Spencer clans his family originate from.

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 December 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
for some unknown reason, you seem determined to cast me in some sort of bad light. I thanked him for his Spencer information, and asked him if his line has died-out or daughtered-out. If not, then I could possibly trace it. Also my posting is (and has said from the beginning) that I am seeking Spencers TODAY who possess That surname now (or was their maiden name). I am not seeking Spencers of any family who are listed in the past, and that is all that is known of them. I am seeking to connect with Spencer people today who either know their lineage back a ways or who know definitely to whom they belong, or who don't but wish to find out How they can find-out (which would be through a Spencer-surnamed male of their family today, taking a y-line DNA test). If you haven't anything positive to contribute to the conversation, then please refrain from telling me what "I" am doing wrong, when I have done nothing of the kind. Is it your place to cast stones and monitor all others' efforts or rain on their parades?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 December 14 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with the search Vienna.  :)

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 December 14 12:40 GMT (UK) »
thank you, kindly, Ruskie.

Vienna

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 December 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Vienna...... here are 6 pages of people currently listed by ancestry some of whom have been active in the past few days ...... I do sincerely trust that you find it useful.
http://community.ancestry.com/directory/DirectoryResults.aspx?researchSurname=spencer&researchLocation=England&researchYear=
All the very best and a happy new year.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so very much, Joe! I had no way to access what you gave me, as my membership to Ancestry. com is in abeyance due monetary concerns. So I thank you  sincerely for this list!! I wish you all the best in Your genealogy searches, too!! Bye for now, thanks again, Vienna

Offline Vienna Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Dear "Bedfordshire Boy"....apparently you seem not to understand that each and every Family has good and Bad traits. I never said my Spencers were "saints", I'm sure there are plenty of awful ones, too. But each family Also has "patterns" that occur w/in it, over time, & my specific family (which are only 15% of all the other un-related Spencer clans, out there), happen to have a huge propensity for the careers mentioned, over & over, all down through time. Hence, ludicrous, or not, it would be remiss of me not to mention this "pattern", as it Might allow another Spencer to recognize that their family may well be related to mine. You are taking "offense", where None has been meant.
Also I am well aware of the medieval gen. group, & the Robert you speak of, is of my line, but I am seeking descendants today who still hold that surname, as we know our past, just trying to find some of the threads of the tapestry in England, still, who got left behind, when our Spencer brothers left there. It's meant as a fun, intriguing Project for myself & others of my Spencers, here in the States, & not meant to upset everyone, which for the life of me I cannot comprehend, except that another's research is making others insecure for some reason? I would not know why, due if it does not concern you or yours, why would you care? And by the way, there is plenty of genetic evidence out there that shows all sorts of traits, besides "looks" are influenced by heredity, including propensity for careers, due certain mental or physical skills passed-along in the blood. So don't know of why it should be of such concern to you....am just trying to connect w/ my lost Spencer lines today, in England.