Author Topic: Ellen Sowter born abt 1780/1782  (Read 2174 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ellen Sowter born abt 1780/1782
« on: Saturday 27 December 14 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I am returning to an old topic which I  thought I had completed and now I realise, probably did not do so.

My ancestor George Ellse/Elce/Ellis of North Wingfield (baptised 8 October 1781 North Wingfield) married  a woman called Ellen - I have evidence for this in the 1841 and 1851 censuses for Clay Lane, North Wingfield.   There is also a gravestone inscription in North Wingfield cemetery to George Ellse who died age 80 on 15 May 1860 and his wife Ellen (details about whom are indecipherable). 

Further evidence is George Ellse married Ellen Sowter in Matlock on 5 December 1802. In his will George Ellse mentions property in Matlock, so no doubt there was a Matlock connection.

However, I do not seem able to find out much more about Ellen Sowter.   In the 1851 census for Clay Lane it states that she was born in Matlock  - where  she and husband George Ellse were married.  Who were her parents and when was she born?

Possible parents (although with no evidence to date) are George Sowter born 1711 in Matlock and wife Mary Wall born 1738 in Matlock.

Another possibility (again no evidence that this is correct) is of Ellen Sowter born in Castle Donington, Leics in 1780.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions or information - anything on Ellen Sowter, I would love to hear from you. 

thanks, marp

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Sowter born abt 1780/1782
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 December 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
I do not have access to parish records in Matlock and from what I read it is where your Ellen is from, not Castle Donington Leicester ( bordering Derbyshire) which is no where near Matlock.

Something I have found is
Name:    Ellen Sowter
Christening Date:    16 May 1798
Christening Place:    WESLEYAN METHODIST,BELPER,DERBY,ENGLAND
Birth Date:    2 May 1798
Father's Name:    Joseph Sowter
Mother's Name:    Ann

and Belper is the right side of Derbyshire for Matlock, but 18 years out with regards to c. birth date a "Job Sowter" was also born to this same couple b  24 June 1808 bap 5 July 1808 again in Belper

and the other link found of transcriptions which I am sure you have is http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/MK-12.HTM
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this. I had accessed the Matlock records and as you no doubt noticed in 1802 George Ellis married Ellen Sowter.   I also accessed Phillimore's for Matlock and noted the marriage and that George Ellse (different spelling but same person) was from North Wingfield and Ellen Sowter was from the parish of Matlock as nothing was noted otherwise.

However, I have not explored the non-conformist records and probably should do so!   I will keep looking!

Thanks again,

marp

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Sowter Marriages St Giles, Matlock around 1800;
George GREGORY of Banner Cross Yks to Ann SOWTER, 15 May 1797
George ELLIS of North Wingfield to Ellen SOWTER, 15 Dec 1802
CHAS Sowter of Ashbourne to Sarah MASSEY, 13 Sept 1803
(FreeREG)

Possible Siblings?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 December 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
How I wish they were siblings! With regard to the above post I am checking every possibe lead.

Charles (Chas) Sowter ( bap 17 June 1782 in Ashbourne) son of Thomas Sowter and Mary Nading does not appear to have a sibling  called Ellen.

Ann Sowter (bap 17 April 1775 in Matlock) daughter of George Sowter and Mary Wall mentioned in my earlier post above.  Ann had 4 siblings as far as I can tell, none called Ellen.

However, any information is very welcome as I have run out of ideas.

Thanks, marp